It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My Mac Mini w/ 10.6.8 has been working fine for over a year w/ backups to the EX495. Recently, the Mini's been complaining that it can't backup.

On the finder, the HP MSS backup disk doesn't appear. I've used combinations of rebooting, checking to make sure the System Pref shows that the backup disk is started (it was off but turned it on), etc w/ no luck. I can see the MSS and the configured folders so the EX495 itself works. I took a look at the Mac folder and there do seem to be some backup files of the correct TM size. (I have multiple Macs backing up.)

At one point, I did see the backup disk in Finder. I could browse it in the Finder and even use Time Machine to view the history up to a few days ago. So I know that there is a valid backup on the EX495. I just can't connect to it. I also haven't made any big OS changes in the last week, so that shouldn't cause big issues.

1) Short of recreating a new backup disk, any suggestions to get this to work?
2) If I do have to create a new backup disk, how do I identify the old backup disk so I can delete?

I should also note that I just checked my wife's Macbook and now it's also having the same problem. Argh.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

UPDATE:
1) My Mac Mini G4 seems to still maintain it's TM backup capability to the EX495.
2) After several reboots, I can get the Backup to HP Media... disk to show up on the Finder. I tried to assign it as a backup disk w/ no luck. The interesting thing is that I can use Time Machine and use that disk to review past backups and it works fine. The main failure is that it's not seen as a valid backup disk.

I've rebooted many times but can't get that Backup disk on the EX495 to show up as a valid disk. I've also confirmed that the System Pref shows the disk as started.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 am 

i was having similar issues after upgrading to 10.6.8 where first the TM backup would say it's read only and not usable. Then it wouldn't even try to mount it. I deleted and rebuilt the backup 3 times. All 3 times, it failed within a couple of days.

I applied the 10.6.8 patch apple released on Monday and recreated the backup again. So far, I'm on Day 3+ with no issues. Hoping this holds out as my TM had been rock solid before this. Could be coincidence, but who knows.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have similar issue. Few weeks ago I upgrade the HDD for my mac mini to 750GB and migrated movies, music and videos to it. I rebuild a new 1024 GB disk on the MSS. TM started the backup but then quit without any reason. I have done this exercise multiple times. Sometimes TM will say, the files are marked 'Read only' other times it say, the drive is not available.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:58 am 

GGHTPC wrote:
I have similar issue. Few weeks ago I upgrade the HDD for my mac mini to 750GB and migrated movies, music and videos to it. I rebuild a new 1024 GB disk on the MSS. TM started the backup but then quit without any reason. I have done this exercise multiple times. Sometimes TM will say, the files are marked 'Read only' other times it say, the drive is not available.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I had these exact issues. I'd rebuild the sparsebundle, TM would do it's full backup, make it through may 1-1.5 days of hourly backups and then say the disk was Read only. This was after I did the upgrade to 10.6.8 in early July.

The only change I made was to apply the patch for 10.6.8 that Apple released later in July. I'm now 5 days in, and the TM backup is still working perfectly. Just a hypothesis but Apple has been known to change things that aren't in the release notes...

Thanks