It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I get it, the 47x owner get thrown some peanuts while the 48x noobs get to dine on caviar. There is absolutely no reason why the software could not run on the 47x servers with a RAM upgrade. Hence, it is extremely disappointing that this update is not being released for the entire MSS customer base, and it is really hard for me not to take Hp's ignorance personal. All I can is SHAME ON YOU HP.

Once I get over my anger (and have a little bit more time) I would like to start exploring an alternative, by either lifting the software from the 48x platform or getting the 48x restore CD to work on the 47x machines. Alex mentioned there are licensing issues due to the license being tied to the new BIOS. However, bios hacks are out for Vista etc, so this problem may be solvable. For now I will stay put until the update is actually released.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Look at this: Hp Media Smart On Shuttle K45s

Code:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?s=ee0eb9599cd0f14bda3f6cfc3ff82053&showtopic=5961

Could it be that easy?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:31 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Okay... how about this for an idea. If HP really doesn't want to go the route of providing these upgrades to theEX47x crowd and instead prefers us to just go out and buy a EX48x series box.... then they at least need to offer us some sort of trade up program to facilitate this. The way this might work would be to allow EX47x users the ability to "buy" a new EX48x, move our data over and then trade in our EX47x units within a 30 day timeframe for a couple of hundred bucks in credit or cash back? Since the waste from old electonics is fast becoming an issue, with such a program HP could satisfy themsleves (i.e make money with new server sales), placate the EX47x users who are feeling abandoned, and score GREEN points in the process. Personally, I want more than Mac Compatability and S3 offsite back-up, so I'd be game.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:04 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

themirage wrote:
I wouldn't know since I don't have the app. Now I do know, using my touch web browser, that you can type in urls using :port numbers and it works perfect.

I believe the general conclusion is that this would require a (rather significant?) hardware change so I would not expect it for the EX48x models.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

TechVet wrote:
Okay... how about this for an idea. If HP really doesn't want to go the route of providing these upgrades to theEX47x crowd and instead prefers us to just go out and buy a EX48x series box.... then they at least need to offer us some sort of trade up program to facilitate this. The way this might work would be to allow EX47x users the ability to "buy" a new EX48x, move our data over and then trade in our EX47x units within a 30 day timeframe for a couple of hundred bucks in credit or cash back? Since the waste from old electonics is fast becoming an issue, with such a program HP could satisfy themsleves (i.e make money with new server sales), placate the EX47x users who are feeling abandoned, and score GREEN points in the process. Personally, I want more than Mac Compatability and S3 offsite back-up, so I'd be game.

Good Idea but Id have to opt out due to the esata port multiplier issue. Im not currently using it but in the not to distant future I will have to start. Im running low on storage and few options left to take to increase it. I think to increase their green rating if you will is to offer the software at a price point that is good for them and for us this way they still make income on a device they already took gains on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have to agree with T-bone and the others that there are advantages to keep our current machines rather than upgrading. If HP truly does move on with adding new and exciting features to only the 2nd generation MSS and limits our upgrades to just a few select features we should call upon the very talented add-in and code writers in this forum to generate the same features for the EX47X.

A lot of these features already exist for our XP/Vista PC's so someone or company could possibly write/modify an equivalent add-in or code to run on the MSS. I for one would be willing to pay for some of these new features so this could be an opportunity for one or more of you guys to enjoy the fruits of our capitalist system. In addition, most of us will no longer have any HP support since our warranties are expiring soon.

PC2: HP Laptop w/ Vista/64 Home Premium SP1
PC3: Dell Desktop w/ Win XP Home SP3
HP Mediasmart Connect n280x
Linksys WRT54G

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
Good Idea but Id have to opt out due to the esata port multiplier issue. Im not currently using it but in the not to distant future I will have to start. Im running low on storage and few options left to take to increase it. I think to increase their green rating if you will is to offer the software at a price point that is good for them and for us this way they still make income on a device they already took gains on.

Yep, that's an excellent point - an upgrade to the EX48x would clearly not work for a good chunk of our members. Another alternative would be to simply wait to see what the next EX4xx series will bring. My bet is that HP will being out another new model in the next 12-18 months that may be bigger and better still.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

TechVet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yep, that's an excellent point - an upgrade to the EX48x would clearly not work for a good chunk of our members. Another alternative would be to simply wait to see what the next EX4xx series will bring. My bet is that HP will being out another new model in the next 12-18 months that may be bigger and better still.

Now that PP2 is out, Microsoft has moved on to the next release that's going to be based on Server 2008. That version will probably be on the next revision of the WHS hardware from HP. Frankly, I think I'm just going to be happy with what I have until that next version comes out. Some Intel Atom-based hardware from HP would be killer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:28 pm 

DustoMan wrote:

Now that PP2 is out, Microsoft has moved on to the next release that's going to be based on Server 2008. That version will probably be on the next revision of the WHS hardware from HP. Frankly, I think I'm just going to be happy with what I have until that next version comes out. Some Intel Atom-based hardware from HP would be killer.

I agree. I think that is where all this is heading in about 12 to 18 months.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:57 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Spare a thought for us UK users, The 48X servers are not even available here. The silence from HP is deafening.
The next server I will be looking at will be the Acer or Tranquil.
[-X

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

phil wrote:
Spare a thought for us UK users, The 48X servers are not even available here. The silence from HP is deafening.
[-X

The Tranquil with builtin DVD drive for ripping is excellent. To bad I can't get it in Canada. I have the EX470, the EX485 is still not available here, but I guess it will come since the 485 did.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

phil wrote:
[-X

As for us Australia users, no vendor has a WHS released locally. Only way we can get it is to import or buy on OEM version of WHS and build a machine ourselves.

I use to work for HP. Before I imported my EX475 in Jan 08 I asked the local product manager why he wouldn't introduce it locally. His response at the time was that he didn't believe there would be much take up and didn't want to introduce it locally until the data corruption bug was resolved.

It's over a year on now and still nothing. I believe I've had at least 10 other people import a unit after showing them what the Mediasmart can do but behavior such as the above and not making the same updates available for EX47x owners has stopped me from recommending it any further.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Alex,

I have seen the references to the update doing some nice things for the iPhone. Will the capabilities also work with the iPod Touch 2G? I would think it would since the Touch has wi-fi.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:06 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ive been using PS3 media server for all mu streaming, its had all the streaming no woffered by hp. I there any port that needs to be forwarded to the server via port forwarding at the router to get the update?

WHS 2011 64bit

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ray3 wrote:
Alex,

I have seen the references to the update doing some nice things for the iPhone. Will the capabilities also work with the iPod Touch 2G? I would think it would since the Touch has wi-fi.

The application will not load on my Ipod Touch (version 2.2.1)

Attachments:
capture.png
capture.png [ 8.63 KiB | Viewed 21852 times ]
Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next