It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:48 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

TxDot wrote:
I knew what you were describing sounded familiar. Did the Automatic Updates work to get PP1 and PP2?

Sure did ! As son as the MSS rebooted, it found the PP1 and installed that, then loaded the WHS Connection update software onto each of my PCs.

Quote:
BTW, I've got 10 years on you and it doesn't get any better. :cry: I'm just glad I can remember anything.

I still cannot fathom that I was running the pre-PP1 release, but my eyes saw it, so there ya have it ! Thanks again to those who helped. The last struggle I had with MSS was getting remote access to work, but in the end that turned out to the work of the network administrator at my work, who was actively blocking any remote access on the ports that I had selected ... DoH !! So it wasn't an 'issue' after all.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Excellent; glad you are up and running and the advice was good. Should have spotted it from the versions you posted I guess. I need to do a post with the version numbers for each release somewhere on the forums or on the Wiki for future reference.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I updated my post on page 5 regarding my parents remote access that no longer works post PP2 and the new router malfunction PP2 causes in their Motorola WR850G. I have entered a feature request in connect for an option to disable the continual port forwarding verification checks.

I also learned that due to a huge price increase their retirement community would be switching cable and ISP provider in the coming months. I figure this may result in a new router being provided by the new company so I plan to just wait and see how that plays out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:06 am 

At this point I don't know if this is still related to PP2, but my remote access crapped out on me again yesterday. I had to go in and reconfigure from the WHS console again, and now it is back working. Never had a problem with Remote Access until PP2 was installed.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

Does the Remote Access actually stop working, or do you just get the warning health notification? What is the failure symptom? And are you using a TZO or WHS domain?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Does the Remote Access actually stop working, or do you just get the warning health notification? What is the failure symptom? And are you using a TZO or WHS domain?

Stopped working. Had a yellow health critical light yesterday morning, I think the message said that port forwarding could not be verified or something to that affect. I didn't have a chance to dig into it further, so I left as is and when I got to work I could not access remotely. Once I got home and reran the router configuration (same process I had to do after PP2 was first installed) everything worked again. I confirmed from work today that remote acess is now working. I am running under the TZO domain (hpmediasmart.com). I will just keep a close eye on to see if the problem keeps occurring, hopefully it is fixed now...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:03 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Stopped working. Had a yellow health critical light yesterday morning, I think the message said that port forwarding could not be verified or something to that affect.

We have had the exact same problem since PP2. I fixed ours temporarorly by releasing our domain name, and redoing it to the same name and it worked for a day. Shut the server off for a severe electrical storm here, when rebooted, got the above quoted error, and no remote access again, this time it says our router doesn't support upnp ( it dies and it is turned on,) reset router and mss, same problem. checked from work computer, and my remote access is note there at all, can't display page. Don't know what to do from here.

bob

HP 32 Bit Dual Core Desktop Vista
2 HP 64 Bit Dual Core Laptops Windows 8
1 Gateway 32 Bit Dual Core Laptops Vista
1 Gateway Laptop XP
C-200 Popcorn Hour

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am 

I have the same issue.

The WHS remote access before power pack2 worked without error for months.

Added the power pack 2 , remote access rans for about 10 minutes and then quits. The yellow block appears saying the port forwarding has failed. re initailize then it work for about 10 more minutes again with the same yellow block.

I have tried everything I know; the router is a Linksys RV016 and is plug and play compatible.I have 3 XP media centers 2005 on the network and 2 linksys extenders.

And what is the Media center Connector supposed to do for me ?! It seems to have "screw up" every recorded TV folder on the network.

Any comments would be appreciated !

signed

AEM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:36 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

For me the automatic port forwarding has never worked. I have a complicated home network with a smoothwall firewall server and three routers. I ended up assigning a fixed ip to the server and then forward the required ports from the smoothwall server directly. WHS fails to verfiy the port forwarding but who cares. Remote access is working solid.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:49 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

amccollo wrote:
I have the same issue.

The WHS remote access before power pack2 worked without error for months.

Added the power pack 2 , remote access rans for about 10 minutes and then quits. The yellow block appears saying the port forwarding has failed. re initailize then it work for about 10 more minutes again with the same yellow block.
[...]

After PP2 update, Remote Access worked for me for a day or two but since then, no luck. I get no warning from the console and when checking in the "settings", it "validates" for a minute and then confirms that it should be "working".
I can access it from the home-network, but from the outside the connection times out.

Very odd....and annoying.

Cheers/ Carl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am having the same problem. All was working great until the update?
Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this? I can see the shared folders but no remote access??? ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

FIXED IT!

After PP2 my webshare quit, website not online, port forwarding failed, repair wouldn't work or correct it, kept telling my my router didn't support upnp. I had to go into the router and turn off NAT filtering. Works great now, don't know what in PP2 made this change, or required it off, but all is well now, and can share photo's on the web again.

Hope this helps someone else with a Netgear router.

Bob

1 Gateway Laptop XP
C-200 Popcorn Hour

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank bdwillie for this post
JohnBick, yakuza
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

bdwillie wrote:
FIXED IT!

After PP2 my webshare quit, website not online, port forwarding failed, repair wouldn't work or correct it, kept telling my my router didn't support upnp. I had to go into the router and turn off NAT filtering. Works great now, don't know what in PP2 made this change, or required it off, but all is well now, and can share photo's on the web again.

Hope this helps someone else with a Netgear router.

Bob

That was it! Allowing Local Loopback fixed the problem. Don't know why, but thanks!
(I use a Linksys router btw..)

Cheers/ Carl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:28 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I checked my Linksys router this morning. NAT filtering was OFF (unchecked). I checked it to turn it on, after which I began to have problems accessing my WHS. I did NOT try all combinations of things to see what my symptoms were, instead I immediately turned it back off again and all has been fine since.

You may be on to something here, Bob... Thanks for ferreting this out!

EDIT/PS: I have taken the liberty of quoting you in a couple other places, with links back to this thread. Will be interesting to see how many problems this resolves.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Glad to help / share!! I stumbled on it by shear accident, trying to get it up and running again, No problem on the quoting!!

Thanks guys!!

Bob

1 Gateway Laptop XP
C-200 Popcorn Hour

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next