It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Possible NIC Issue?
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:40 am 

Hello everyone - I'm a long time ex485 owner (newegg refurb Sept 2009). I've done a lot with the information on these forums and other blog articles. I modded my bios, upgraded my CPU (E3300) and RAM (4GB), I've install WHS2011, previously virtualized linux for TimeMachine backups, and fixed my PSU by replacing capacitors all thanks to information I've gained anonymously lurking, so thank you to all active members on this forum.

Now to my problem which I hope someone can help me with. I've recently began noticing strange disconnects using DLNA (Serviio), issues connecting/staying connected via CIFS, and then odd trouble occasionally connecting to RDP. I thought I had tracked it down to a bad network cable or router port, but then I've swapped the cable for a new shielded CAT6, and swapped ports on my router. I started using ping -t and noticed a disturbing trend. I can be connected via RDP (existing connection) and ping my router (or any other host) and every so often (once every couple of minutes) I get 'Request timed out' for several seconds. At this point, I cannot establish new connections to the server. 20-30 seconds later normal pings resume and the server responds appropriately. The weird thing is, existing established TCP connections appear to continue to work. If I copy a large file over CIFS, it will continue to copy even if this behavior starts. RDP is still connected and updating - so it's almost like the network stack is getting overloaded.

I started doing some torrenting (seeding some files like CoinOps and other community emulation resources) which preceded some of this issue. I limited global connections to 60 so any self respecting server should be able to handle that few of connections. Also disabling serviio, uTorrent, and leaving them off for a while, the situation does not improve. Also, I installed Gargoyle router firmware on my WNDR3700v1 about 2 months ago. I've looked into these things and attempted to eliminate them as variables.

So to summarize:
* Server suffers intermittent connection issues every few minutes, during which time can't ping gateway or other hosts for a period of time (20-30 seconds)
* Existing connections appear to continue to work (RDP session, large file transfer, streaming movie, etc).
* Gateway/other hosts are consistently 'pingable' from each other (does not appear network equipment related)
* Cable has been swapped for new high quality CAT6, no change in behavior
* Router port has been swapped, no change in behavior
* Problem started about 2-3 weeks ago with only a larger load of network traffic perhaps precipitating it. It might have been going on longer, but I wouldn't have noticed.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Possible NIC Issue?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

Sounds like you're doing the right troubleshooting steps, only other suggestion I have is to continue disabling services and see when the problem goes away.

Thanks