It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 pm 

Hi; i gone and done it while messing with my router: disabled the NIC in my EX485 running WHS 2011.

I've got a USB keyboard plugged in but here's what I thought I'd try:

Shutdown the machine;
remove the boot drive.
put "devcon.exe" (64 bit version) in the root of C:
put a .bat file in the "Startup" folder for the user I usually log into the server with.
in that .bat file would be the correct command line to make "devcon.exe" do its thing: such as
c:\devcon.exe enable "PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0191"

Could someone with a MediaSmart Server EX 48x running Windows Home Server 2011 tell me if that command line is correct, or what it should be... and whether or not this cockamamie scheme has a chance of working?

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm not familiar with devcon.exe, but you'd need to set the "run as administrator" flag on your shortcut. So more likely you'd need to create a shortcut that points to the batch file--the batch file can go in the root of C:\, and the shortcut is where you can set such a flag. Enabling/disabling of hardware requires admin perms.

If you log in as Administrator, this shouldn't be an issue because Administrator always runs with full admin perms. If you use a regular user, even if that user is an administrator, you'd need to set that flag on the shortcut to trigger the UAC prompt. Otherwise the shortcut will run with peasant perms and just result in an error.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm 

lorax1284 wrote:
Hi; i gone and done it while messing with my router: disabled the NIC in my EX485 running WHS 2011.

I've got a USB keyboard plugged in but here's what I thought I'd try:

Shutdown the machine;
remove the boot drive.
put "devcon.exe" (64 bit version) in the root of C:
put a .bat file in the "Startup" folder for the user I usually log into the server with.
in that .bat file would be the correct command line to make "devcon.exe" do its thing: such as
c:\devcon.exe enable "PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_0191"

Could someone with a MediaSmart Server EX 48x running Windows Home Server 2011 tell me if that command line is correct, or what it should be... and whether or not this cockamamie scheme has a chance of working?

Thanks in advance

I tried that command on my EX485 running WHS2011 and its not a command within WHS2011 that I can see. This problem has occurred in WHSv1 and the Site WIKI has a solution for WHSv1 but it will not work fully on WHS2011 but the basic idea still works. So what I did was I disabled my NIC and logged off the server. (Fun Stuff eh) This is where a DEBUG Board really comes in handy and I urge you to get one and should you ever have to perform a recovery from a Server Backup this will make performing the recovery easier too. Enough about the DEBUG BOARD lets get your NIC working again.

(1) Connect a USB Keyboard to your server.

If your server has never had a USB Keyboard Connected to it then tap the Power Key to shut it down and reboot the server with the keyboard connected so that you will be able to use the keyboard.

(2) Follow the key strokes listed below and mind the wait times. This is where patience is important

Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Type in your Server Password & Press Enter

Wait 5-10 Mins for the Desktop to load longer if your server is slow

Press the WINDOWS Key

Press the Right Arrow Key one time

Press the Up Arrow Key one time

Type in NCPA.CPL & Press ENTER

Press the TAB KEY 4 Times

Press the Space Bar Once

Press ENTER

If all goes well your servers NIC will be active again if not then reboot the server and do it again.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks