It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

Hi guys

Im looking at building my own plex server but need some help and advice.

I have atm 20tb of media (still increasing) mostly in true hd 1080p. I have around 15 members of my family and friends who would like to have access. My home broadband can not handle more the 1 stream so i am going to colocate the server.

Regarding the server it's going to be a 2u rackmount, dual cpu and plenty of ram. My budget is about £14,000. I know thats alot and its overkill but i want to future proof it and make sure nothing is left to chance.

Can someone help and tell me what are the most important hardware considerations i should make? It will only be used as a plex server and nothing else.

should i get sas or sata?

How can i keep the power consumption low?

Can i use normal windows OS or do i need windows server OS?

can i get qnap OS?

what is ssd cache and how would it help?

What other settings hardware or software can i change to make it work as i intend and as fast as possible?

https://youtu.be/Ur7qWYH5F-s

The above link is to a video made of a server. Alot of what he says i like but im not that advanced in computer software or hardware. Is there anyone who understands what hes saying and can help?

Thanks for reading guys i really appreciate any help you can give me

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, welcome. Just a couple of questions that may help.
You are wanting multiple 1080p streams on your (inside network) or (outside network & inside network)?

You mentioned your broadband would not handle it, so I assume you are talking about streaming outside your network, if so then that could be a problem, no matter what kind of pc you build, if you don't have the pipe to pump it out through then that's it, unless you can find a faster isp.

Inside your network, are you Giga? router/switches/nics on the pc's your streaming to?
Again, you could build a super PC but if you are running 10/100 network then you have a bottleneck.

Right sizing a network is kind of like building a race car, You would not want to put a blown V-8 in a lawnmower. It would be a waste.

I just upgraded my network a few years ago, replaced the router, switches and all the wires to cat6, everything is giga now, that being said, I still rip my movies down to about 1.5 to 2 gig max so I can host multiple streams but they are not HD streams. Everybody in the house can run a movie at the same time.

I do not use plex, I use serviio so can't help with that, but moving raw data is moving raw data, everything has to work together.
Someone that streams more then I may have better info, but don't just spend all the cash on a super pc unless your network (inside and out) can handle it.....
Hope this helps, I will be watching to see if anybody anymore info on how to run plex with multiple 1080 streams.
Good luck and enjoy!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am 

Hi

Ok on my home network i can stream true hd 1080p without a problem the streaming is the problem due to my bandwidth. To solve this problem i am going to colocate the server to a company which has 1 gig upload and download speeds. I dontbwant to lower the movie quality i want the original. What i want to know is would a high end cpu be abkle to handle 15 streams? Also what other things regarding hardware for my server should i be looking at? What did you do on you home network to make it 1 gig? What did you change or adjust?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok, thx for the info. So you have a place for this new plex server to live that has a good pipe, got ya.
I will defer to the Plex people on what plex can and can't do depending on the hardware.

My 2 cents I would email Plex support and ask what it's max is depending on hardware and bandwidth, but that's just me.

To make My house/network Giga was just a matter of getting a Giga router, giga switches and replace will the hardwire with Cat6E.
My ISP is about 20 down and about 6 up. But internal it's all giga.

Then I had to make sure all the Network cards in the PC's were giga.
I only have 3 people in the house plus maybe the samsung tv so 4 streams max it does very well.
I chose the low bit-rate for storage space and I am not that picky on how the movies look. But I come from the Old Black n White days lololool

Quantity over quality, I have well over 500 movies and it lives in my mediasmart in 6tb.
Good Luck Let us know if you would if you find out any limitations, it could help others.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:44 pm 

Hi

Thanks for your help. I would love to make my home network giga and i will look further into server requirements

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Good old Google, I found this with a search for "Plex server for 10 to 15 streams"
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/211917/major-plex-server-build-for-up-to-15-streams
Sounds like this guy spent only $1,400.00 on his system but has a BIG pipe for bandwidth.

I believe you will be limited by the bandwidth long before you hit the limit of your server, even if you spent half of what your talking.

Also here is some info from Plex on MIn/Max specs:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200375666-Stand-Alone-Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 am 

Thanks for that

Thanks