It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes it will, I outline that here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... me-server/

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Bigsease30

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:17 pm 

Thank you very much!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:58 am 

I just did a server recovery due to a failed system disk. I had a BDBB from just before the failure so I restored that onto my newly recovered WHS. However, I can't mount the backup (see below). I found this article about fixing the problem, but that didn't work for me. I also don't have a Z drive on my system. The "old" server was on WHS PP3 and I updated the "new" one to PP3 after running the recovery. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan

edit: I should mention I was able to open backups on the old server.
edit 2: I took another backup of my primary laptop and I'm able to open that backup just fine. It seems the issue only exists with the BDBB restored backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 am 
Founder
Founder

I've never heard of anyone encountering that issue. It's possible the database you backed up is damaged, or that something got damaged in the server recovery or DB restore. You can check the event viewer on the server for error messages from BDBB but if it says it completed successfully I doubt you'll find anything. You can also try restoring your backup manually via the Microsoft provided whitepaper instructions, they are linked in the BDBB wiki article and README file.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Tonight I tried to run a BDBB backup (about 120GB total) and when it got to 49% the server (EX495) appeared to have crashed and re-started. I tried again and the same thing happened at 49%. Any ideas why it is doing this? In both cases I was running the BDBB backup from the WHS Console running within a remote desktop connection (not from the Console on a client computer).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tom

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 am 
Founder
Founder

Most likely it's due to a problem hard drive, either in the server storage pool or the backup target. You can check the event viewer logs on the server for messages from BDBB. I'd also recommend installing the Home Server SMART Add-In to check the health of your drives.

Other options include trying a different hard drive to use as the backup target, and verifying the integrity of your backup database by trying to open one or more of the backups for single file restore.

Finally, you can try manually copying your backups according to the instructions in the Microsoft whitepaper linked in the BDBB Readme and Wiki article.

Thanks  
zrtom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yea, the reason I was doing the backup is, after almost 3 years of continuous running, the original Seagate system drive was beginning to show increasing Reallocated Sectors (up to 43).

I tried a couple different backup targets to no avail.

I noticed that the server would restart while the BDBB backup was copying the file GlobalCluster.4096.dat (over 7GB in size). Same thing during a manual copy of the backup files per the Microsoft whitepaper; the server would abruptly shut down.

Despite not being able to run a BDBB backup, the backup database would repair successfully and I had no problem opening (several) backups from the Console.

I did a Server Recovery and the problem persisted. My computer backups weren't that critical so I ended up doing a Server Reset on a new HDD. Now everything is fresh and running good. The original HDD is in a drawer and if I really needed one of my original computer backups I could always boot it up and give it a try.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Restored BDBB version missing client backup set.

About two years ago I replaced one of the PC's in our office and in the process chose a new "name" for the PC. As expected, the WHS backup service created a new backup client with the new name and left the old backup client in place (complaining that it had not been backed up in awhile). This was as expected. This also left a "copy" of the old machine in place so I could pick and choose what files and folders to bring over to the new machine.

One set of files that never made it to the new machine were quite a few digital photographs. Since I knew they would be kept in the backups I did not worry too much since there were several copies of the backup via BDBB stored on a separate drive.

While in a "clean it up" mode recently I deleted the backup client for that old machine from the active backup set. Yes, I received a warning from WHS that deleting the client would forever remove it from the backup set. Not to worry, I thought...other copies were safe in the BDBB sets in the remote chance I ran across a set of files that needed to be restored.

Well, that day came last week when I realized that I had never pulled all of the digital photographs from the old PC backup set. So I went into the list of BDBB backups and restored a set that pre-dated when I removed the old PC client from the backup set. I know if actually resored the BDBB set because the clients now show no backups for 217 days. Unfortunately, the old PC backup client does not show up in the list of clients and thus I cannot restore from that set. :cry:

I'm certain that the restored set contained the backup for the old PC, just not sure why it is not showing up. Thoughts?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 am 
Founder
Founder

I've always had it discover the clients contained in the backup database. Do make sure you're fully up to date on all WHS updates, specifically PP3 or greater. BDBB also backs up the client information from the registry, if you're technically comfortable you could compare and even import the missing client entry into the registry on WHS and see if that helps.

The keys in the registry are stored in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients
and the backup file created by BDBB is stored in the specific BDBB backup in: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\YourBackup\reg\BDBB_ClientRegistry.xml

Thanks  
DougS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Followed your instructions and found the locations you mentioned, but no client found there matching the description of the old machine. In fact, it only listed a few of the total machines in the group - odd.

The xml file was quite short.

I am trying to be careful and not lose any of the current files or folders in case the missing photos are in the pile somewhere. They amount to almost 5,000 photos covering almost ten years. Ouch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 am 
Founder
Founder

BDBB takes a snapshot of the client registry at the time of the backup, if your client is missing from the xml file I would expect it did not exist in the backup. You can double-check against WHS.reg which BDBB also backs up.

As you are learning, the Backup database isn't really meant to be long-term data storage, it's meant more to preserve the current and historical state of the computers you use so you can restore them in the event of a failure or near-term data loss. For archival of important data you are much better off using duplicated storage along with additional local or offsite backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 pm 

I had a system drive crash awhile back and just got around to rebuilding my WHS V1 with the goal of retrieving the client backups and converting them to VHD images.

I copied the original client database to a network share, not using BDBB since it was not installed before the system disk crashed.

on my newly installed WHS V1 with all updates applied, I installed BDBB and created a rather empty backup on the network share. I then copied the original client database into the new backup database directory and initiated a restore of the 515GB. success.

now I need to figure out how to gain access to the client backups and restore them onto a drive and then into a VHD or directly into a VHD. I plan to abandon WHS and just want to have all my past clients in an collection of VHD images.

the clients that are in the database are not listed in the "computers and backups" tab. I suspect I need to manually add them into the registry. the client computers no longer exist, just their backups in WHS.

any suggestions on how to proceed?

perhaps there is a way to directly convert the raw client database into VHD images.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am 
Founder
Founder

If they don't show up in the WHS Computers and Backups tab then either the backup DB is invalid/damaged, or you didn't fully update WHS to the latest power packs and patches prior to restoring the DB. Otherwise any clients contained in the database should be displayed.

I'm not aware of any utilities for extracting client backups to VHD's.

Thanks  
jphatchett
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 am 

After looking closer at the files in the various {00008086 ...} folders I realized I didn't assemble a complete copy from the various DE directories on all the drives. I had 4 drives installed before the system drive had crashed and it seems that the {00008086 ...} folder was spread/balanced across three of the drives.

while Drive 0 had crashed and SYS was unrecoverable, I had managed to patiently copy the DATA volume to another drive, seemingly intact.

Drive 0
SYS:
DATA:
\folders\{00008086 ...} tombstones
\DE\folders\{00008086 ...} empty
Drive 1
DATA:
\DE\folders\{00008086 ... } partial A
Drive 2
DATA:
\DE\folders\{00008086 ... } partial B
Drive 3
DATA:
\DE\folders\{00008086 ... } partial C

During recovery I have a new DRIVE 0 (built with the server recovery process) and DRIVE 1/2/3 are listed as non-pool drives.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12