It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:46 pm 

yakuza wrote:
This article describes manually enabling duplication by modifying the registry key:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/WindowsHo ... ation.aspx

Thanks again Alex.

Have gone into the registry and that key was / is correctly set to "0" to disable BDBBs. For some reason though the machine isn't releasing the space previously used by the duplication. Keeps telling me I have insufficient space when I know there's at least 10% allocated to old BDBBs. I'm wondering whether I should turn the duplication back on, delete the DB, wait for it to free up the space then restore the DB from the external drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

I was confident that BDBB is setting the registry correctly. :) The only times I've heard of this issue, toggling duplication on/off and maybe rebooting a couple times, and it cleared up after a couple days. Unfortunately I have no idea why WHS wouldn't be releasing the space. :(

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
sandpit147
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:11 pm 

yakuza wrote:
I was confident that BDBB is setting the registry correctly. :) The only times I've heard of this issue, toggling duplication on/off and maybe rebooting a couple times, and it cleared up after a couple days. Unfortunately I have no idea why WHS wouldn't be releasing the space. :(

Problem solved.

Turned out all the server needed was a reboot. Once that was completed disk space has been relinquished and is once again available for use.

Don't know why I didn't think of trying that earlier, was your post above that jogged the memory. Thanks for all your help.

:sanjuan:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 am 
Founder
Founder

Great to hear! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:28 pm 

After buying WHS PP3 a year ago and not really understanding all of the ins-and-outs of data backup with WHS, I got busy and installed this program and Crashplan. I thought it would be neat to post this diagram on a few sites, I like diagrams. I hope it's reasonably accurate. This seems to be the best system for me, and Crashplan allows the shares to be backed up frequently (+/-30 minutes per day)--so that if my wife accidentally erases a home business file (it's happened)--I can get it back. Being the home office IT person is a lot of responsibility, I've found. Failure is not an option! Thanks for the great add-in, WHS would not work well without it.

Attachments:
WHS_BACKUP_DIAG.jpg
WHS_BACKUP_DIAG.jpg [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 67901 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Atari_Hangover for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 pm 

Hi Alex,

First of all, thanks for your great effort in developing this and other addins. I have used BDBB for awhile now, but am realizing that I had better get a little more educated on what would happen in the event I would actually need to restore something which leads me to a few questions.

First of all my setup:
EX495 with 2 x 1TB on board server storage
5 bay SATA enclosure in which I alternately back up to one of 2 1TB backup drives.

...and then my backup process:
1) Nightly: automated PC and laptop backups using the standard WHS functionality
2) Weekly: manual backup where I right-click "Your Home Server" in the "Computers and Backup" tab and run a backup
(these go to the backup hard drive that is setting in the enclosure)
3) Monthly: BDBB backup to the backup disk which is in the enclosure
I then dismount and remove this drive, stop by at the bank and swap it with the other drive in my safety deposit box

... and now for my questions:
a) Can I skip step 2) above, i.e. will the server content (e.g. media files etc.) be covered by BDBB ?
b) Is each BDBB backup a complete snapshot, or do I need to be careful how I age off (delete) old BDBB backups?
c) If the answer is that I need to continue with step 2, would you be able to confirm whether each backup of this type represents a full snapshot of the server content or whether these backups are incremental?

I am mostly concerned with the server media content and how that content gets captured (hopefully by BDBB).

I hope these questions make sense and in any case thanks again!

Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:27 am 
Founder
Founder

dlassen wrote:
a) Can I skip step 2) above, i.e. will the server content (e.g. media files etc.) be covered by BDBB ?

No, BDBB only backs up the client backup database.

dlassen wrote:
b) Is each BDBB backup a complete snapshot, or do I need to be careful how I age off (delete) old BDBB backups?

Each BDBB backup is a complete snapshot.

dlassen wrote:
c) If the answer is that I need to continue with step 2, would you be able to confirm whether each backup of this type represents a full snapshot of the server content or whether these backups are incremental?

The built-in WHS Shared Folder backup feature is incremental.

dlassen wrote:
I am mostly concerned with the server media content and how that content gets captured (hopefully by BDBB).

BDBB does not back up your shared folders, you need to do that yourself.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 pm 

Newbie question:

Within this past month my WHS has lost two drives. Replacing the recent one caused a loss of all my backups since I had to pull a "missing" drive. It is now taken me three days to backup one of my 1TB machines.

To prevent this situation from again occuring, I installed BDBB. It looks great but I have two newbie questions:

1) BDBB provides for multiple backups, each with an ID. The files are quite large. Is there any reason I would need to save anything other than the latest backup?

2) I am saving to an external four-disk eSATA box that is attached to the server but not part of the pool. My backup file is greater than 1 TB. Am I correct in assuming that BDBD cannot span disks of less than the backup file size and I need a backup disk at least as large as my backup file?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 pm 
Founder
Founder

1) Keep as few or as many as you like, the most recent is usually the best backup to have as long as you check your backup DB for consistency prior to backing up. I like to open a backup for Single File Restore as a test.

2) BDBB will not span multiple drives, you need a single volume that is bigger than the backup database. The volume can be comprised of multiple drives if your storage enclosure is capable of RAID, for example.

Thanks  
wgrossman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 pm 

Thanks Alex.

For BDBB, what do you think of JBOD?

On a more general question, given all the swirl surrounding DE and Vail, isn't the best archictecture to have a server, V1 or Vail connected to a a RAID or two JBOD external enclosures? That way you push the pooling, spanning, and duplication off of the server to the hardware. Is there any problem loading raid or jbod drivers onto V1 or vail?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

wgrossman wrote:
For BDBB, what do you think of JBOD?

If you don't need reliability of what you are storing on it, JBOD can be fine.

Quote:
On a more general question, given all the swirl surrounding DE and Vail, isn't the best archictecture to have a server, V1 or Vail connected to a a RAID or two JBOD external enclosures? That way you push the pooling, spanning, and duplication off of the server to the hardware. Is there any problem loading raid or jbod drivers onto V1 or vail?

"Best architecture" is debatable and will vary for different users. As I've stated ad naseum :D I believe a DE-like solution is necessary for the average consumer to be able to use a product like the home server. If the driver will load onto Server 2003 (for WHS) or Server 2008 (WHS2011) then it should work fine. Further discussion on this should take place in a separate forum topic.

Thanks  
wgrossman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:25 pm 

Thanks Alex.

Can you direct me to any of your DE ad nauseum comments. I want to understand your thinking.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:33 am 
Founder
Founder

This is probably the best starting point.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/02 ... y-storage/

Thanks  
wgrossman
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:24 pm 

thx a bunch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:54 pm 

I have been reading for the past few weeks that WHS BDBB is a great tool to have and use. i have never used it but I am curious about one thing. I am about to upgrade my server from a ex480 to a ex495 and I was wondering if this would transfer my backup database over to the new server?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next