It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:58 pm 

I think I have a new issue compared to others?

I am trying to migrate my data over to a new server I just built.
Both servers are fully patched to the same level.
I used BDBB to backup my database on the old server.
I then used BDBB to restore the database on the new server.
The backup restored fine and I now see all my backups in the console.

However, now, on the new server, both the clients and advanced tab in BDBB are blank.
I have tried uninstalling the plug-in, rebooting, and reinstalling and they are still blank.
The backups tab looks normal..

I even tried updating video card drivers in case it was a gui/grapics issue with no luck..

EDIT: New issue just started, homeserverconsole.exe is now crashing..

EDIT: So I just cleared out the backup database manually and removed the entries for each computer from the backup tab. That got the server stable again and stopped the console from crashing. It also stopped a bunch of entries that were going into the application log for cqsvc.exe each minute since I did the restore.

I am guessing this was all due to my not proceeding with the proper order of operations. I will look over the document that this software is based on and try to find the error I made..

CW

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've not heard of behavior like that. You can check the recent HomeServerConsole*.log files on the server for errors that might give a clue, they are located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 am 

small issue:

took away my usb- disk nr. 3 used for backups and connected after a little while usb- disk nr. 4 for another backup. Drive nr.4 showed up in server memory as expected but on the whsbdbb dialogue was still drive nr. 3 with its backups on the list. Had to reset the console, after that the changed drive was also recognized by whsbdbb.

Expected behaviour? What to do to refresh the list?

(Extremely satisfied with the addin, thanks a lot for your work!! :D )

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:10 am 
Founder
Founder

Yeah, that's a known issue that came about due to some drive info caching I implemented in 1.0.3.3 in an attempt to speed things up for those that have a lot of hard drives connected. If the drives have unique names they should get detected correctly. Resetting the console is a workaround for now as you found, and I'll fix it in a later release either in code or with a Refresh button.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 am 

Good to know- thanks for the quick answer ;-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I am using an esata dock http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1346&ID=1895 and WHSBDBB to create backups of my WHS EX47x system for off site storage. Things are working well with one exception; when the external disk has reached the point where it cannot store anymore backups, I have to delete the oldest one manually and I am getting an error ~50% of the time. The error message is attached and it starts with the following line;

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path

I can get around the error message by removing the disk from the WHS drive and manually deleting the files and re-adding the drive to the WHS system.

I have looked in the log files directory and couldn't find any file that looked directly related to this problem and I have also search this site with no hits.

Attachments:
WHSBDBB delete error msg.jpg
WHSBDBB delete error msg.jpg [ 305.44 KiB | Viewed 81149 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 am 
Founder
Founder

I've not seen that error before, interesting. Next time you encounter that issue, please try first resetting the Home Server Console and then try the delete again, it's possible that the caching is causing this error.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 am 
Founder
Founder

CheezWiz wrote:
I think I have a new issue compared to others?

I am trying to migrate my data over to a new server I just built.
Both servers are fully patched to the same level.
I used BDBB to backup my database on the old server.
I then used BDBB to restore the database on the new server.
The backup restored fine and I now see all my backups in the console.

However, now, on the new server, both the clients and advanced tab in BDBB are blank.
I have tried uninstalling the plug-in, rebooting, and reinstalling and they are still blank.
The backups tab looks normal..

I even tried updating video card drivers in case it was a gui/grapics issue with no luck..

EDIT: New issue just started, homeserverconsole.exe is now crashing..

EDIT: So I just cleared out the backup database manually and removed the entries for each computer from the backup tab. That got the server stable again and stopped the console from crashing. It also stopped a bunch of entries that were going into the application log for cqsvc.exe each minute since I did the restore.

I am guessing this was all due to my not proceeding with the proper order of operations. I will look over the document that this software is based on and try to find the error I made..

CW

CheezWiz, another user emailed me with the same issue, here's what wrote resolved it for him.
Quote:
Found the problem Console QuickView Monitor Service was disabled for some reason. Once I enabled and started the service all was OK.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 am 

I probably should have posted my previous post here ...

Here's the problem ..
Hi, my v1 server crashed the other night so I decided to install within my Hyper-V server. The New installation and upgrades went without a hitch. After the Hyper-V instance was patched to the latest as my initial v1 server was fully patched it was time to restore my last Client BDBB backup (dated 8/17/2011, 920MB). It went through the long process and when it completed WHS reported a corrupt DB, prior to fixing the corrupt DB I made sure I could see all the client PC's, they all showed up and all were grayed since I haven't installed the client software on any of the clients yet. So I performed the fix for a corrupt DB (forgot the exact verbiage) and when it completed it deleted ALL of the client backups, no more computers showed up under "Computers & Backups".

Checked the Event viewer and there's a lot of these:

Error getting Client GUIDs from Registry:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSBDBB.HomeServerSettingsExtender.GetClientGUIDsFromRegistry()

I suppose that's because I haven't re-installed the client tools but should be OK to proceed?

Yes all updates have been applied ...

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

So, fellow WHS users ... NOW WHAT?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am 
Founder
Founder

I responded to your other post, but yes, those error messages are benign and not related to the problem you are experiencing. My best theory is that the backup DB is in fact corrupt. Unfortunately since the backup DB is a proprietary format, there's no way for me to do a consistency check on it prior to performing the backup in BDBB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 am 

Thanks Alex ... :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hi,

I've had WHS BDBB installed for some time now and think it's a great addition to WHS. I have one question though. Have enabled duplication for WHS backups which was working fine. Could see the increased disk usage as a result of the duplication taking place. I have now invested in an external storage drive for backing up this DB though and switched the duplication off. Problem is the system hasn't released the storage space used by the duplication. Is there a way to delete the obsolete duplication to free up that disk space?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:52 pm 
Founder
Founder

It usually frees up with some time, those graphs don't always update quickly. You can also try toggling it on and off again, be sure to hit Apply between changes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:32 pm 

yakuza wrote:
It usually frees up with some time, those graphs don't always update quickly. You can also try toggling it on and off again, be sure to hit Apply between changes.

Thanks Alex,

Tried your suggestion but no luck. Have been monitoring the DB duplication and seems to growing and shrinking inline with the size of the primary backup database, despite the selection being turned off.

Can you tell me the registry string and what it should say so I can manually go in and check that it's turned off? .... I unfortunately require the space on my server which is now being taken up by the DB backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:58 am 
Founder
Founder

This article describes manually enabling duplication by modifying the registry key:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/WindowsHo ... ation.aspx

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next