It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 am 
Founder
Founder

For more discussion about WHS BDBB, please see the 30+ pages of discussion in the following topics:
* WHS BDBB original forum discussion viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2066
* WHS BDBB version 1.0.1.6 and 1.0.2.2 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4078

WHS BDBB is designed to allow the user to easily create and restore a backup of the Backup Database created by Windows Home Server, which contains the backups of all Client PC's in the home.

Please see the Wiki for a full writeup of the Add-In.

You can always download the latest version of WHS BDBB on the Add-Ins page.

Changes in the 1.0.3.3 release include:
    * Redesigned user interface, tabs now provide room for new features
    * More documentation within the interface to explain the features of the Add-In, including a warning message that the backup service will be stopped during backup and restore
    * Increased details about each possible Network target, including free and total storage space, volume name and drive letter if known.
    * Added ability to configure Health Notification thresholds for each client computer
    * Added feature to delete the current WHS Backup Database in case of a corrupted DB that Repair is not able to correct
    * Elapsed Time now reported in the UI after a Backup or Restore completes
    * Don't display connected drives with filesystem of type CDFS, such as CD/DVD and some external hard drives that have special read-only partitions such as the HP Simple Save.
    * Improved performance displaying list of backups in the Backups tab
    * Removed user prompt to restore Client Registry keys, as this feature is no longer needed since WHS PP2. The registry files are still backed up with each BDBB backup in case the user needs to manually restore.
    * Re-architected threading model improves UI responsiveness.
    * New logo created by http://www.nada-g.com

Attachment:
WHSBDBB_1.0.3.3.png
WHSBDBB_1.0.3.3.png [ 49.4 KiB | Viewed 229968 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 am 
Founder
Founder

1100 downloads in just over a week and no questions or comments? Is this thing on? 00--00 :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Alex, thanks for continuing to update this great addin with new functionality. The client Health Notification thresholds addition, I kept the 1.0 version of the MS Toolkit installed because of this and the Backup Database Reset functionality. Will your addin at all conflict with that 1.0 Toolkit or do they both work against the same set of parameters? Second I have 4 backups from BDBB. Will they be fine with the new version. Just recognized on install of the new update or will I have to start from scratch? Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The backups are compatible. You will not lose them.

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 am 
Founder
Founder

MRL_WHS, BDBB and the 1.0 toolkit are fine together, they operate on the same keys. And as jam3ohio said, the BDBB backups are fully compatible. Remember, they are just snapshots of the WHS backup database, all BDBB does is copy them. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:28 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I lost my backups last night so i decided to try this addin to prevent this issue happening in the future but i have 2 questions about this addin

1) Enable Duplication for WHS Backups
Does this happening automatically? I had some backups already when i installed the addin and i enabled this option and i didnt see any change in file duplication space. In an event of loss or corruption of the backups is it possible to restore from here?

2) When creating a backup of whs backup, is it possible to set a schedule where we can say once a week at x hours to preform a backup of do we have to do this manually?

Last edited by peste19 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 am 
Founder
Founder

1) Duplication occurs when WHS gets around to it. This won't allow you to restore from duplication, though it should protect you from the loss of a drive. However if you've got a corrupt backup database, this just duplicates that corrupt DB. Regular snapshots using BDBB (weekly seems often enough for me personally) is the best approach in my view, unless you have lots of disk space to spare in which case duplication can't hurt.

2) No, it is a manual process at this time.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
peste19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

1) Then option Enable Duplication for WHS Backups is kind of pointless for my case, my hard drives are still healthy but is good like you said for people with extra space, anyways would love to see an automated scheduling in the future, overall great addin, great work

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 am 
Founder
Founder

Yup, I've heard the Scheduling feedback a lot, it's on my list. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:51 pm 

Alex,

I installed the new version the day after you released it. I have completed two back ups (1.7 TB), one to my Vail test box (8 gig of RAM) and one to my 475 (2 gig of RAM), both were successful. The back up to the vail box completed in two thirds the time that it took to back up to the 475. I looked at the network activity during the back up and found that the back up to the 475 has periods of no network activity, where as the back up to the Vail box showed continuous network activity. I am guessing that with verify option and the size of the files being transferred that the 475 runs out of actual memory and has to start using the swap file.

I am on the road for work, (they sent me to a place called Welwyn Garden City where I am in a pub and they are watching a game called football that looks a lot like soccer, and a game called snooker that looks like pool, except in snooker they seem to have a bigger table, with a whole lot of red balls :D ). I will try to manually copy some of the backup files when I get home to see if the verify switch affects the transfers to the 475.

Matt

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback, Matt, only I'm not familiar with any "Verify" switch?? :-k I'm not surprised the Vail box is faster than the 475.

It's funny how the Brit's twist our language around, isn't it? :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 pm 

I have been hearing about bdbb for some time and have installed version 1.0.3.3 but when I try to create a backup it fails but doesn't say why. I am at a loss as to what to do now. I am trying the back up again with a different name but it has stopped at 5%, no error yet but it hasn't changed for the past 45 minutes.
Some where it said I had about 800gb to back up. I have 2.6 tb available.... When I look at my diskmanagement add-in disk "0" or "D" is the only won with any activity, and it is 99.9% full. I have plenty of room on the other 5 disks, but it is not writing to them.
Any ideas?

Jack
jcflyer

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

Screenshots could be helpful. BDBB will log to the Application Event Viewer on your server, you can access this via Remote Desktop or various Add-Ins such as Advanced Admin Console, AdminiMe, or Program Launcher. The HP servers have the Event Viewer available on their HP Settings tab.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm 

They keep reminding me it's "English" after all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm 

Alex,
Thanks for the quick response. I have attached a screen shot of the event viewer error message. There are 2 event errors and 4 warnings. They appear to be the result of the landing zone (drive 0 or D) being full. My second attempt at backing up with BDBB is still progressing and has thrown only one "Event Warning" which is "Object reference not set to an instance of object." that was an hour ago. BDBB has been at 5% complete for the past 4 hours. It appears WHS Migrator is moving files off Disk 0. When it was full there was 250mb available, now there is 21GB. At this rate It will take a day or so to do a back up.
Should I cancel the backup and reinstall BDBB or just have some patience?
I have more screen shots but can only upload one at a time. i picked the one with the most information, (I think)
Your suggestions?

Attachments:
WHS-Event-Viewer-error.JPG
WHS-Event-Viewer-error.JPG [ 143.69 KiB | Viewed 229539 times ]

with 6 internal disks
6.6tb of storage.
Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next