It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: DA Document Manager 2010
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm 

We are excited to announce to all of our friends in the Windows Home Server community that on Tuesday, January 26th Group Seven Technology will be releasing the 3rd generation of Digital ArcHound. The release has so many significant enhancements that we are now calling the application the DA Document Manager which provides an excellent archiving tool to small business and home users.

This application is one of the most sophisticated applications available for Windows Home Server. If you would like to see any screenshots or learn more about the application go to http://www.ArcHound.com

We are here to answer any questions you may have, so do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Glenn Hansen & the Digital ArcHound Team

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

A big welcome, Glenn Hansen & the Digital ArcHound Team, to the world of MSS/WHS and, specifically, to MediaSmartServer.net! It is GREAT to have you aboard and I am sure that many will appreciate the availability of a "support thread" on this system.

I had tried this once, long ago, and decided not to switch from a methodology I had been using for some time. Just your presence here will likely be enough for me to reconsider that going forward.

Thanks for joining us!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I might have to break down and get this. Looks great!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:40 am 

Took a quick look at it and its very interesting. Not sure if I have a need for it or not but I book marked the site and will go over every inch of it over the next week or two.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Glenn,

The download link that we get from Share-it is broken. You have to remove beta. from the link, also it downloads setupdigitizer.msi

There are a few comments at http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/01/26/a ... -archound/
on this.

John.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You've made some really nice changes. I have two questions...

1. Does DA2010 integrate with Windows Desktop Search? There is iFilter plugin that developers can use to expose their database to WDS. I prefer to use WDS since it offers a common way to do all my searches.

2. We are a small company (4) with each of us working from our home offices. Is there anyway for remote users to have access too? And what about from a phone? I think with v2 WHS, if it includes Direct Access support that will partially resolve this.

Hopefully you are working with Microsoft to see how your product can leverage & work with their other offerings: SharePoint, Office Live Workspaces and Live Mesh/Live SkyDrive. There might even be an opportunity to put a piece of your product in the cloud using Azure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 pm 

Hello,

i'm really interested in this software, so i downloaded the test version and installed it on my whs. The installation procedure worked, but it had an error like "no permission". When i connected to the WHS Console the addin tells me that my evaluation period has ended and the database is locked. The web service has no permission "unauthorized". The client cannt connect to the WHS.

Somebody also tested this software?

P.S.: Will there be an german version of this software?

hotspot_2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

A lot questions but no answers. What's happening?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

These guys at archound just came out with a major update. I'm sure they are quite busy with that. Glenn has been very helpful to me in the past on replying to my support questions. Please give him a bit of time to catch up.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Has anyone Tried this yet? I just got my new server and since I probably wont be upgrading to WHS2 with out DE I figured I would dive into all the things I had interest in finally.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I finally pulled the trigger on this add-in. Im now looking for a printer and/or scanner to use with this program. My criteria is that it have ADF and do duplex scanning. I don't want to have to feed multiple page bills in and I would rather not have to flip bills to copy the back sides.

What are other users of this program using and how do you like your equiptment?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:13 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi T-Bone... I have the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner. It meets all your requirements but is a bit pricey as scanners go. See other comments below the quote.

T-Bone wrote:
So I finally pulled the trigger on this add-in. Im now looking for a printer and/or scanner to use with this program. My criteria is that it have ADF and do duplex scanning. I don't want to have to feed multiple page bills in and I would rather not have to flip bills to copy the back sides.

What are other users of this program using and how do you like your equipment?

The ScanSnap 1500 is by far the best scanner I have ever owned. Of course, because of the design of this scanner it does not do "flatbed scanning", so you would need to have some other cheap scanner to do that. For loading in multipage stackes of paper (both front and back) this scanner is great. It does have the duplex feature you want and it works perfectly.

I bought DA Document Manager about a year ago and have found it extremely useful and to be a good piece of software. We are moving toward a completely paper-free storage status at our house. I can definitely see we will get there although going 100% electronic storage will take a while to accomplish. I have important papers stored on my WHS and love the feature of being able to add large user manuals, etc. to the server storage pool and discarding the paper. I use DA Document Manager for everyday scanning/storage as well. For instance, when I order something on line I have a pretty automated procedure that lets me store the invoice directly to the server for future reference. Of course, moving the invoice from my desktop screen to DA Doc. Mgt. does not require the scanner. I would definitely recommend the WHS DA Document Manager software. You will be glad you got it.

However, as you obviously know, the scanner you use with DA is of paramount importance. I paid about $390 after cash back, coupons, etc. including shipping when I bought the ScanSanp 1500. That was a great price at that time. I see you can get it for about the same price now as when I bought it several months back. I did get the scanner with the "Deluxe Bundle". That includes a full copy of Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader) and I have found that useful. The bundle includes some other software that I haven't taken the time to look into much but you may find it valuable. It includes some software for filling and storage as well, but I use DA for that and it works well for me. I have not investigated the alternative software offered in the bundle that duplicates some of DA's capabilities. If you decide you can live without the "Deluxe Bundle", you might be able to get the scanner a little cheaper than the $390 price I paid.

If I had gone ahead and bough the S1500 first instead of the 15 other scanners I have used over my computing life, I would have paid a lot less for scanners. 15 or so scanners at $100 bucks each is much more expensive that the $390 I paid for the S1500. I found all of them lacking in many aspects ( for instance the ones you mentioned in your post) but the most impressive thing about the S1500 is its speed and accuracy. All the other scanners I have owned are intolerably slow.

Full disclosure: I have had some trouble scanning different sized pieces of paper placed in the scanner "bin" like Fujitsu shows in all their advertising. But I think that is mostly my fault for not reading the documentation enough and my (so far ) unwillingness to address that issue. :D

Summary: I would highly recommend the DA Document Manager and the ScanSnap S1500 scanner.

Hope this helps.

George

Edit: Edited for clarity

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

SeaRay33,

Im really looking at getting the SNAPSCAN 1500 I read that its cross platform just need to install drivers from net. Im wondering if the included software is worth the extra few bucks? Let me know what you think.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I would definitely recommend this scanner, not only for the software but the scanner itself. I have never seen a faster scanner. Apparently, at least in scanner products, you get what you pay. Good luck. I like mine and I bet you will like yours. I probably spent well over $500 buying scanners over the last 20 years that I don't like. This one broke that bad buying habit. :D

I was able to get my Scansnap 1500 for $390 including the Adobe software and free shipping because of some special pricing I was able to find. I have not seen that price again, but have not been really looking for it.

Don't forget you can get cash back using some of the cash back sites. That will help some.

http://cashreporter.com/

http://rewardsdb.com/search.php?q=bw%3A

http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/home.do

I you have a BofA credit card or debit card
https://additup.bankofamerica.com/jsp/01.0-welcome.jsp

http://www.mrrebates.com/

http://evreward.com/store

Edit: to add cash back suggestion and links to cash back sites

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Looks Like I scored at least for the time being. My Job was throwing out a S500 and I snagged it. It only needed a Powercord so I got one for the price of a new power adapter. It was a little confusing how to get up and running on Vista but i got it. Im happy to say it works like a charm. Now I just need to install the DA 2010 and Ill be on my way.

Thanks