It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Alex, as I have told you previously I am not familiar with this forum software but can only guess that the large while area to the right of the MSS logo is a holding pace for banner ads. Is that correct? Or even below the 7 tabs that are beneath the MSS logo should be a place for a banner ad. What I would suggest you do is create a basic banner ad. Have it say something along the lines of "Help Support the Site by Clicking Here Then when someone clicks the banner ad they will be taken to a page with the links and explanation about what people can do with them.

I would also suggest you look into Google Ads, it is also a way to generate income. You have control of the ads and what is advertised on your site.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
MediaSmartServer.net has been an active Windows Home Server community since July 2007. During this time we've had numerous requests from members and visitors asking how they can donate or in some way say "Thank You" for one of our Add-Ins, tutorials and guides in the Wiki, or for some other extra support they have received from us directly or in the forums.

Many of you are tech enthusiasts and do a lot of online shopping. Simply clicking these links to get to Amazon (US), Amazon (UK), Amazon (CA), Newegg.comImage, Newegg.caImage, HP ShoppingImage, Buy.com (US and CA)Image before you order is the biggest and easiest way to help. When you use these links MediaSmartServer.net gets credit regardless of what you buy and you pay not a penny more. These are all places that I shop and have always had very good experiences.

Your support of this site helps recoup my expenses associated with hosting the site, maintaining the web server, and paying for bandwidth. Any extra allows me to spend time writing more articles, getting more hardware and software to review, all with the intent to help you make the most of your connected home.

Thank you for your support!

What I think you should do it create a Paypal accouont also and posted on the website so people can send you money that way also. Sometimes is easier to do this than to go and buy something at one of those websites. I will be more than happy to support you work. :mss: :whs:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

spdrcr5 wrote:
Alex, as I have told you previously I am not familiar with this forum software but can only guess that the large while area to the right of the MSS logo is a holding pace for banner ads. Is that correct? Or even below the 7 tabs that are beneath the MSS logo should be a place for a banner ad. What I would suggest you do is create a basic banner ad. Have it say something along the lines of "Help Support the Site by Clicking Here Then when someone clicks the banner ad they will be taken to a page with the links and explanation about what people can do with them.

I would also suggest you look into Google Ads, it is also a way to generate income. You have control of the ads and what is advertised on your site.

spdrcr5, I'm guessing you have some form of ad-blocking plugin for your browser, as I'm already running Google and Amazon ads on the site that do help. I just wanted to let the community know of an easy way they can do their normal shopping at a few favorite stores and have it benefit this site. I could indeed put an Ad with this info into rotation with the normal ones, that's a pretty good idea. :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

cubanblood wrote:
What I think you should do it create a Paypal accouont also and posted on the website so people can send you money that way also. Sometimes is easier to do this than to go and buy something at one of those websites. I will be more than happy to support you work. :mss: :whs:

Thanks for that, for now I don't have any plans of doing a paypal link.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

yakuza wrote:
I could indeed put an Ad with this info into rotation with the normal ones, that's a pretty good idea. :cheers:

Problem with that is the Ad would NEVER appear when I want to go shopping....

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am 
Founder
Founder

I'm pleased to add B&H Photo VideoImage to the list. I've bought a bunch of photo equipment from there, and they often have good prices on the EX495 MediaSmart ServerImage and other electronic devices. Give them a look the next time you're price shopping.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Did you ever decide about putting a link to the ads somewhere at the top of each page? Would encourage use...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

This topic appears in every forum, and the ads are sprinkled through the site. I've actually shrunk the whitespace/real estate consumed by the top of the pages on this site based on feedback (ahem JohnBick ahem) about it being too big, and am loath to add further content.

The intent was to enlighten people about very simple ways to go about their normal shopping habits and support the site at the same time, hopefully it's done that job.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:48 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

How about adding a link entitled "Ads" centered on the line that has the logon/messages///FAQ...?

Very small and inconspicuous but VERY easy to get to quickly. Coule link to the first entry in this thread or to to a separate list. Mention it in the first post.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 am 

JohnBick wrote:
How about adding a link entitled "Ads" centered on the line that has the logon/messages///FAQ...?

Very small and inconspicuous but VERY easy to get to quickly. Coule link to the first entry in this thread or to to a separate list. Mention it in the first post.

Adding to John's suggestion, could link that to a locked sticky in General forum that is titled "Shortcuts to buying from our advertisers" or "Links to our advertisers" and just maintain the list from that locked sticky.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thank you for adding the B&H website :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 pm 
Founder
Founder

Updated to include Ebay.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:25 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Updated to include Ebay.

Damnation man!

I just finished my annual blow my credit card up on e-bay extravaganza

DOH!

:shock: :?

Oh well, now that you have an e-bay link I'll actually be able to contribute.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Slightly odd question... I do most of my online shopping by doing research then emailing myself the direct links to the product I decided on. If I come to this page and click the link for say, newegg.ca, which will then take me to the newegg.ca homepage, then paste a direct product link into the address bar of the same tab (like: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=<blah>) and make the purchase, will you get credit for the purchase? Would it be safer (from a "giving credit to MSS.net" sense) to click the link on this page, then navigate from there to the shiny toy in question?

Also, would thinkgeek.com be something you could hook up in a similar fashion? I'm going to be making a whack of gift purchases there soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

It's fine to mail yourself links. When you click a link here, it sets a cookie that lasts for a couple of days, so any shopping you do should credit the site. It won't give the site credit for things already in your cart, so it's best to click a link here first, then do your shopping either directly or from the links you email yourself.

I set up ThinkGeek.comImage and updated the first post, thanks for asking!

Thanks