It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: WHS Health
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:20 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Today we are releasing a new Add-In, WHS Health. This Add-In allows you to see the status of various features of your server such as Console Warnings, Storage Details, Shared Folder Status from a set of small lightweight web. These pages look great on an iPhone/Touch device but will also display on other Web Browsers.

For more details please read the Blog post.

The Add-in is available here

============================================================================================================================
Title: WHS Health
Version: 1.0.0.6
Date: 21/09/2009
Add-In Authors: Nigel Wilks and Alex Kuretz
http://www.mediasmartserver.net

About the Add-In
=============

WHS Health is a set of Web Pages formatted especially for viewing on the iPhone/Touch devices. The pages read the data from http://yourserver:55000/health/health.xml and renders them into an easy to read format.

INSTALLATION
===========
1. Install WHS Health by copying the WHS Health.msi file to the
Software\Addins share of your Windows Home Server.

2. Start the Windows Home Server Console, select Settings, then Add-Ins. Select
WHS Health from the Available tab, and click "Install".

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cougar for this post
johnjjd, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS Health
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:15 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Cougar--cool idea! Loaded it up and having an issue or two. I can navigate to https://theserver/health/default.aspx ok but when I click on an option, I get the following error message:

Server Error in '/Health' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not find file 'c:\inetpub\intranet\health\health.xml'.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'c:\inetpub\intranet\health\health.xml'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'c:\inetpub\intranet\health\health.xml'.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +305
System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +1162
System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) +66
System.Web.UI.Control.OpenFileAndGetDependency(VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath, CacheDependency& dependency) +108
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Xml.LoadXPathDocument() +475
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Xml.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +28
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +27
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +25
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +134
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +19
System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +27
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +25
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1266

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Adding some screen shots from my IIS manager on the server.

Any ideas? I have installed the php, mysql and wordpress add-ins but nothing else that should be interacting with the web pages. I have loaded pp3 as well.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments:
whs site.pdf [38.22 KiB]
Downloaded 3452 times
whs site 2.pdf [43.34 KiB]
Downloaded 3223 times
default site.pdf [44.68 KiB]
Downloaded 3328 times
default site 2.pdf [42.9 KiB]
Downloaded 3263 times

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

How about showing Android some love?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Good job here... But I do need to make a couple comments:

(1) DRIVES only shows the ones in the pool, not backup or unmanaged. Can that be included? Can you pull any additional data on the drives -- such as temps?

(2) BACKUPS does not recognize that one of my machines has (intentionally) not been backed up in over a month. (It is the Vista OS on my now-W7 machine and the backups are turned off. Seems like it should either display a correct number of days OR show that it is turned off. The Last Backup Status thjere properly shown only two machines.

Other than that it looks good. (I am NOT seeing the problem described by jam3ohio above.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I had to go to the IPaddress of my server on the lan to get this. So https://192.168.1.220/health

Attachments:
001.PNG
001.PNG [ 29.39 KiB | Viewed 99875 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:24 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I think I have a PP3 install issue so it makes sense to me now that the health web page is not there. Seeing Windows Search issues in the error log, and RDC'ing into the server and checking system properties the MSS is telling me that I have PP2 loaded, even though the console says PP3. These are consistent with problems that others have seen with a bad PP3 install.

Will roll this add-in back, roll back PP3, reinstall and check again. If I still have a problem, I will advise, but think that the issue is not with this add-in but with PP3.

Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jam3ohio wrote:
I think I have a PP3 install issue so it makes sense to me now that the health web page is not there. Seeing Windows Search issues in the error log, and RDC'ing into the server and checking system properties the MSS is telling me that I have PP2 loaded, even though the console says PP3. These are consistent with problems that others have seen with a bad PP3 install.

Will roll this add-in back, roll back PP3, reinstall and check again. If I still have a problem, I will advise, but think that the issue is not with this add-in but with PP3.

Jim

I believe you are perhaps confused...
You will see Service Pack 2 if you RDC in, that is a Service Pack which is different than a Power Pack.

Attachments:
With Power Pack 3.png
With Power Pack 3.png [ 27.53 KiB | Viewed 99875 times ]
WHS Settings....png
WHS Settings....png [ 59.25 KiB | Viewed 99874 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Teknmage for this post
TAdams
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have the same as Teknmage. I think it may be that the MS Windows 2003 Server is what is actually at the SP2 level and the Windows Home Server software is at PP3. (Yeah, I know the system info shows otherwise but this is the explanation I got from an HP technician a while back!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Yup, agree that I was wrong on that one, thanks for the pointer!

Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

No "right vs wrong" here, jam3ohio (Jim)...! We're all trying to help each other learn!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:15 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I misinterpreted the diff between the rdc system info and the connector (appreciate the education there guys!), but will still check to see if PP3 installed right. That xml page should be there...any ideas of why it would not be if the PP3 installed ok? Is there a step that I may have missed in the setup, or is this xml installed by PP3?

Thanks!

Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:04 am 
Founder
Founder

Jim, we should definitely do a graceful job of handling the case where the health.xml file doesn't exist, and perhaps even do a check for PP3 since that's required to get the health.xml. I'm sure Nigel will see this shortly and start working on a way to handle this better. :) I have heard that the health.xml is not fully reliable and that some users have had troubles with their servers generating the file correctly. If you're able, please check the logs on the server (both WHS logs and Event Viewer) to look for errors related to this. You might also try a server reboot if you haven't recently.

JohnBick, we're simply displaying the info shown in health.xml and don't have further info than what is contained there. If you'd care to share your health.xml we can take a look and make sure we're not missing anything. A screenshot of your Computers and Backups tab might also be helpful as a comparison. I do not expect we'll get the drives, but we should check the backups.

Teknmage, my iPod Touch seems to not resolve the system on the LAN sometimes, it does work well outside the home.

TxDot, this is a web app and not a native iPhone app so you can view the pages on many devices. It renders fine in all the modern desktop browsers (IE7/IE8/FF3.5/Chrome) that I've tried. It looks like crap on WinMo 6.1. Since Safari is WebKit based and I believe so is the Android browser it may very well work fine. Please try it and let us know. I do expect we'll put some future effort into making custom css files for better rendering on other mobile platforms.

Thanks for all the great comments and feedback!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Quote:
Jim, we should definitely do a graceful job of handling the case where the health.xml file doesn't exist, and perhaps even do a check for PP3 since that's required to get the health.xml. I'm sure Nigel will see this shortly and start working on a way to handle this better.

Doh!.... will be fixed when i get back from work later.

Just following up on the other issue around name resolution; I have the same problem at home and switch to 3G when I need to use my systems at home.... really need to buy a new router.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:46 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Alex, thanks for the feedback. I checked logs last night and the only issues were related to Windows Search. Since I noted that many folks that had PP3 install problems had Search errors in the logs, I assumed that there was an issue related to PP3. I can post the logs if that helps, but do not have time this morning. Please advise if you need them. I did reboot three times last night, as well as taking the server down completely and bringing it back up to no avail.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:22 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Anyone recall a program called Clientinfo? It generates XML files and stores them not only for the WHS but for the client computers as well on the server. It has the kind of information that is being requested here in an XML format, any chance that you could check for it's existence and incorporate it's data as well?

I have an external Seagate "FreeAgent" USB drive that is at a critical level in the health.xml file, this external hard drive is not even listed in WHS Health.... It seems that if Health is reporting an event as critical it should be listed?

Code:
<Notification UniqueID="qsm.ad3445f7-e9db-4f15-8746-9f2854c26af6.Object" Severity="WHS_INFO" IsSuppressed="0" TextHeader="Storage Status" TextDescription="Volume with name FREEAGENT DRIVE is QSM_OS_UNKNOWN" />
  <Notification UniqueID="qsm.5bb8b245-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.Object" Severity="WHS_INFO" IsSuppressed="0" TextHeader="Storage Status" TextDescription="Disk with name Unknown disk Seagate FreeAgent USB Device is QSM_OS_UNKNOWN" />

The Backup info section has a lot more info about the MSS clients, any chance you could report this info, client name, IP address, OS in use, make, and model number?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next