It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

From what I understand, as Alex points out, it is better to set up your server to use the same IP address using DHCP on your router. The server stays the same. It is set as a dynamic IP address so you don't get locked out if you make changes to your network. Since the MSS it is headless, you can use a USB mouse & keyboard but not a monitor so you can't get in directly to the MSS to make changes. This makes great sense.

Since it is best for the MSS to always use the same IP address for port forwarding, then if your router has the option to set a static IP address to your MSS based on the mac address of the MSS, you are safe. You can always access your router from any browser on any PC. If you move your MSS to a different network, you can still get in since it's IP address is dynamic.

I have a VGA cable for my MSS so I set up the IP address as static. I don't have problems forwarding ports because of this. However ever since PP2 came out, Remote Access has change and I continue to get false negative from WHS Remote Access with my router. This is why I can not use the addin successfully. This is not a problem with the addin, rather WHS Remote Access and my uPnP router Belkin N1 do not work well together. Other routers do.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 pm 

I'll see if i can set the static IP address thru the router. if not, then i'll remote desktop my way into the server and set the static IP there. I'll let both of you know.

BTW, do i need to uninstall Port Forward Add-In?

Thanks again
spike

Diehard wrote:
From what I understand, as Alex points out, it is better to set up your server to use the same IP address using DHCP on your router. The server stays the same. It is set as a dynamic IP address so you don't get locked out if you make changes to your network. Since the MSS it is headless, you can use a USB mouse & keyboard but not a monitor so you can't get in directly to the MSS to make changes. This makes great sense.

Since it is best for the MSS to always use the same IP address for port forwarding, then if your router has the option to set a static IP address to your MSS based on the mac address of the MSS, you are safe. You can always access your router from any browser on any PC. If you move your MSS to a different network, you can still get in since it's IP address is dynamic.

I have a VGA cable for my MSS so I set up the IP address as static. I don't have problems forwarding ports because of this. However ever since PP2 came out, Remote Access has change and I continue to get false negative from WHS Remote Access with my router. This is why I can not use the addin successfully. This is not a problem with the addin, rather WHS Remote Access and my uPnP router Belkin N1 do not work well together. Other routers do.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 am 
Founder
Founder

If you aren't using UPnP then there is no reason to have this Add-In installed on your server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks Alex for making the Port Forward add-in. After making unsuccessful attempts to manually port forward my Linksys WRT54gs router (8169 for using WHS mobile add-in), I used yours, and it worked great.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:59 am 
Founder
Founder

Awesome, glad it worked well for you! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:53 am 

Port Forward falsely reports that UPnP is disabled, if one of the ports it's trying to forward is already defined on the server. Is there any way to test that condition, and not falsely report that UPnP is disabled, when it can control other ports?

Chris Cowles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:40 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Chris,

Can you elaborate with exact reproduction steps, please, and I'll take a look. Unfortunately there are some assumptions I have to make based upon exceptions received from the WHS API's, one of which is whether the router supports UPnP.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:15 pm 

I've had to mess with my router so, after multiple reboots, WHS wasn't connected. I had used Portforward to map UDP9 to 9, and UDP7 to 9, as well. After a reboot I manually forwarded that port on the router. Then I had to reconnect the server. After the WHS connection was reestablished, it reported that port forwarding was disabled. I assume that's because the 7 and 9 forwards were 2 of the 3 managed by port forward. (The other was to accommodate WHS Moble. 8169, I think.)

Whatever the case, Port forward reported UPnP was not enabled whichk, in fact, it was. After removing those manual port forwarding definitions from the router, and rebooting WHS, WHS remote re-established the ports it controlled. Port forward then reported those and established the additional ports.

The fact that WHS wouldn't establish it's own port forward suggest the root of the problem is in the WHS port forwarding service, not controlled directly by Portforward.

Chris

PS: The goal of this whole exercise was to forward a WOL packet from the internet to the broadcast address. My cheak Netgear WGR614 doesn't support forwarding to .255. I found a reference to changing the subnet mask to .128, in which case the broadcast address is 127, not 255. It accepted a forward to that address but got REAL sluggish. I returned to using .0 as the subnet mask. Hence the multiple reboots.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:59 am 
Founder
Founder

If I'm following you correctly, it sounds like WHS was confused, and WHS Port Forward shared the same confusion, is that right? I believe what happened is that since the manual port forwards were in place on your router, WHS was unable to configure your router and so believed the router did not support UPnP. WHS Port Forward does not directly query the router, instead it tells WHS what ports it wants forwarded, so if WHS thinks UPnP is disabled then so does WHS Port Forward.

Does that sound accurate?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello, I just got a new HP MediaSmart EX495. (latest powerpacks etc)

I have a LinkSys WRT610N running the latest DD-WRT firmware. (UPNP didnt work on the stock Linksys firmware by the way)

Ok so it seems WHS doesnt auto forward 80, 443, 4125, 3389. That where your nice app comes in. (just discovered it)

I just installed WHS Port Forward, and added my first test entry. I called it WHSWEB 80 192.168.1.123

I logged into my router and I see the new UPNP entry with the above.

When I look at the Windows Home Server Console, settings, WHS Port Forward page, NOTHING is listed.

How am I supposed to delete this entry now? Something is funky. I rebooted the WHS and no change.
(WHS Port Forward page still empty)

Will uninstalling WHS Port Forward clear it? Can I manually fix/tweak something through RDP?

I wont add any more ports until I hear back what you suggest I do and what my options are. thanks

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 am 
Founder
Founder

From the very first post of this topic, in big bold letters:
Quote:
NOTE: WHS Port Forward should work with any router that supports UPnP and Windows Home Server is able to configure automatically for Remote Access . If Windows Home Server is NOT able to automatically configure your router for Remote Access then this Add-In will likely NOT work for you.

This Add-In uses WHS to forward ports, it cannot forward ports unless WHS can. Do you have remote access turned on in the Server Console? What does the "Test Router" button report? Can you share a screenshot of the add-in settings tab please?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
From the very first post of this topic, in big bold letters:
Quote:
NOTE: WHS Port Forward should work with any router that supports UPnP and Windows Home Server is able to configure automatically for Remote Access . If Windows Home Server is NOT able to automatically configure your router for Remote Access then this Add-In will likely NOT work for you.

This Add-In uses WHS to forward ports, it cannot forward ports unless WHS can. Do you have remote access turned on in the Server Console? What does the "Test Router" button report? Can you share a screen shot of the add-in settings tab please?

Yes Remote Access is on. I don't see a "Test Router" button in your app. WHS can forward the ports for sure, because a few other apps already have and show up in my Routers UPNP page. Also again, when I use your app to add a port, the new port shows up in my Router, it just doesn't show up in your Apps GUI settings page afterward. (see screen shots below)

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

From your DDWRT screenshot, it appears that WHS is not configuring your router or doesn't know that it is able to. What is the Remote Access status in the Server Console?

You can check the Application Event Viewer logs on the Server for errors, could show something.

Worst case to clean up the entries that are set in your router, I'll suggest you uninstall WHS Port Forward and then delete the specific keys under the following sections of the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\External Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\Internal Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\Protocol

For completeness you can delete the same keys below, though it won't hurt anything to leave them if Port Forward is uninstalled.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MediaSmartServer.net\WHS Port Forward

Sorry the Add-In hasn't worked better for you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:13 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
From your DDWRT screenshot, it appears that WHS is not configuring your router or doesn't know that it is able to. What is the Remote Access status in the Server Console?

You can check the Application Event Viewer logs on the Server for errors, could show something.

Worst case to clean up the entries that are set in your router, I'll suggest you uninstall WHS Port Forward and then delete the specific keys under the following sections of the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\External Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\Internal Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Port Forwarding Service\Protocol

For completeness you can delete the same keys below, though it won't hurt anything to leave them if Port Forward is uninstalled.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MediaSmartServer.net\WHS Port Forward

Sorry the Add-In hasn't worked better for you.

Thanks, What makes you say WHS is not configuring my router? The test port I showed in the example above was 30985. If you look at the DDWRT UPnP page above, you'll see "WHS_30985"

I do see WHS Port Forward errors in the event viewer though. Does this shed any light on why it's not working?

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: WHS Port Forward
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 2/21/2010
Time: 2:19:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MEDIA
Description:
Error reading WHS registry.

System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int16.
at System.Int16.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSPortForward.HomeServerSettingsExtender.GetWHSRegistryEntries()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
"

Remote access in the settings page says "Available" This is most likely due to the fact I manually created port forwards a few weeks ago when I first set things up. My goal is to migrate off fixed port forward entries to fully automatic UPnP ones. I'm always updating my router firmware and I'd like to keep everything automatic where possible. I see the port forwards in the registry. (see screeen shots below) I'm just confused why your app doesn't list them in the GUI though? I'd like to be able to use your program to add/remove ports instead of digging into the registry if possible.

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

JazJon wrote:

Thanks, What makes you say WHS is not configuring my router? The test port I showed in the example above was 30985. If you look at the DDWRT UPnP page above, you'll see "WHS_30985"

None of the default WHS configured ports (80, 443, 4125) appear in the list of UPnP ports, that's why.

JazJon wrote:
I do see WHS Port Forward errors in the event viewer though. Does this shed any light on why it's not working?

Yes, that helps. The problem is the port 44321, due to a bug in the API's exposed by WHS the max port size is 32767 (listed as a known issue in the first post). I do checking of that value in the Add Port dialog and won't let you add 44321, but I don't do checking of the entries that WHS knows about. I'm not sure what's configuring that, but if you delete that entry then I believe all the known forwarded ports should show up and WHS Port Forward should work normally. Do you know what created that entry and how it got there?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next