It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks, A reboot seems to have removed he errors

BIOS Patched for X2 processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (ADD3800IAA5CU)
Addins: MSS Fan Control, Grid Junction, LightsOut (Paid), RemoteAlert

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:40 am 

Hi,

I have installed MSS fan control and since then, I get hardware errors all the time saying "The HP MediaSmart Server CPU is running too hot" and "The HP MediaSmart Server fans are not running at the proper speed". If I select optimized default or factory settings and click apply, the problem re-occurs after a day or so. I only use factory settings or optimized defaults to begin with. I do't mess about with the settings to make the fans go too slow. When these errors happen my hardware status is the following:

CPU: 31 degrees
Upper fan: 1500 rpm
Lower fan: 1500 rpm

I have tried removing the add-in but the problem still occurs even though the hardware status looks ok.

I'm wondering if it something to do with when the server comes out of hibernation because I have Lights out add-in installed also. Has anyone else had this error with this add-in?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I get a higher temp 39 degrees Centigrade almost all the time, sometimes 40.

Don't know what normal is or valid range of CPU Temp.

Attachment:
File comment: Fan, Temp Voltage at this moment
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 4.83 KiB | Viewed 53733 times ]

BIOS Patched for X2 processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (ADD3800IAA5CU)
Addins: MSS Fan Control, Grid Junction, LightsOut (Paid), RemoteAlert

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:56 am 
Founder
Founder

Most likely your .ini file is corrupt, you can learn how to resolve that here.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3333&start=0

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:46 pm 

thanks working fine now

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:14 pm 

I've just replaced HP MediaSmart EX 470 case fans with a couple of Nexus silent PWM fans. Well, to my disappoitment the replacement fans turned out to be much noiser than the originals. I realized that the new fans run at much higher RPM, everything else is equal. The new fans also have a bit higher CFM rating so the higher RPM isn't really needed. In fact with the new fans running at 50% the CPU temperature was just 28C.

I tried SpeedFan first, then quickly discovered MSS Fan Control Add-In. It works great but unfortunately it is assumes the original fans and limits fand speed adjustment in automatic mode to +/- 250 RPM. It would be great it it allowed an advanced mode that would allow me a greater degree of adjustment.

For now I am just using the constant speed mode. At 25% the new fans seem to provide adequate cooling. The CPU temperature is 30C and fan speeds are around 1400 RPM. I haven't tried stressing the server yet.

Should I just try to edit the registry setting directly?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Try the 'optimized defaults' button... it follows the factory temperature vs speed curve but lowers the thresholds for the different levels by 20 degrees across the board.

If you want even more cooling you can lower those thresholds even more manually by turning on advanced controls and adjusting the sliders beyond '-20'

Cheers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 am 
Founder
Founder

silent voyager wrote:
I tried SpeedFan first, then quickly discovered MSS Fan Control Add-In. It works great but unfortunately it is assumes the original fans and limits fand speed adjustment in automatic mode to +/- 250 RPM. It would be great it it allowed an advanced mode that would allow me a greater degree of adjustment.

For now I am just using the constant speed mode. At 25% the new fans seem to provide adequate cooling. The CPU temperature is 30C and fan speeds are around 1400 RPM. I haven't tried stressing the server yet.

Should I just try to edit the registry setting directly?

What would you like ideally? ymboc's suggestions should work well, but I'm open to input on what you'd prefer to see.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 pm 

yakuza wrote:
What would you like ideally? ymboc's suggestions should work well, but I'm open to input on what you'd prefer to see.

Ideally I would like it to be less noisy because it is in the office. With default settings running at 50% Nexus fans run at about 2250 RPM and that makes them quite loud. Applying optimized defaults would make the situation even worse because it would apply more aggressive cooling policy.
I would like both fans to normally run at about 25% - about 1400 RPM and automatically increase the speed if the CPU temperature raises. So the ideal situation for me would be to keep the same or slightly lower temperature points but shift the speed percentages down at all temperature points.

Anyway it seems that my requirement is unique because I am trying to use non-standard fans. So feel free to ignore it.

And there is another issue that I wanted to mention, not sure if it is related to FanControl or not. I use LightsOut add-in that hypernates the server nightly. When my server comes out of hypernation both case fans speed up to full trottle and stay there until I either restart the server or RDP to it and adjust the speed with SpeedFan.

I have already experimented with setting my own RPM speeds directly in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WNAS\Parameters\FanControl. It seems to work fine but as soon as the server resumes from hypernation it is back to 100%.

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:43 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Any hope of getting this for WHS 2011?

I recently installed WHS 2011 on my old HP EX 475 (upgraded with 2gb ram and a dual core AMD BE-2300). The cpu is running a tad bit hotter than the original, but on WHS 1 the MSS Fan Control add-in solved my heat issue by turning up the rpms a bit.

Now on WHS 2011 I sometimes get unexpected shotdowns and I think they might be related to heat. But I have no way of monitoring the fans or turning them up.

I have the VGA debug board so I can fiddle around in the BIOS. I see there are some fan/temp setting there, but they are all disabled.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:31 pm 
Founder
Founder

Same issue as the LED controls, there needs to be the underlying driver plus registry keys.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10566

Edit: I realized I didn't really answer your question. :) At this time I don't have plans to port this to WHS 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Installed SpeedFan on WHS 2011 on the EX475. Works a treat and the fans are now keeping the CPU cool.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
At this time I don't have plans to port this to WHS 2011.

Shoot! I'm still looking for a solution for my DataVault :?

I'm going to have to figure out how to hotwire a fan to just be on at this point, I think...

EDIT - I did some reading and in the end I found that if I just unplugged the fan and bent the pin for the blue wire down so it no longer connected, the fan runs at full speed - which is fine for me as this server is in a server room.

Problem solved!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Is there anything at all for the ex495? My HD fans are keeping my HD's in the high 90's which I don't like.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The only way I know of is to purchase the vga interface card and access the bios to change the fans settings.
It also is not intuitive to change.
Since it is a pid loop
Several settings to look at.
I was successful in ramping up the default rpm, but I had to disable a option to allow me to do so.

Also what is the 90's, C or F?
for F it is not that high.
Since most drives are rated at 60+ C which is 140 F

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Last edited by Ruben Rocha on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next