It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

As time marches on and desktop terminals get faster, and laptops get thinner and lighter, the computers that have been connected to my WHS (and backed up) over the years have grown to the limit imposed by Microsoft (that being 10).

Luckily I found BDBB to streamline the back up the server to an external hard drive (thanks Alex) and started using it. With a new laptop and desktop terminal coming on line, I'm faced with removing retired hardware from the connected computers on the server (and deleting the old backup data on the server).

So my question is twofold. My server is setup with a monitor/keyboard/mouse. At some point I will be deleting old BDBB backups to preserve space on my backup hard drive. So is there a way to identify the BDBB backup folders of these old computers so I can pull and archive them? If I need to view data in them, how would I go about doing that?

During the backup routine, some of the backup files are named with the computer name .dat, others are Data.4096.dat, and there are also .configdata files

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:44 am 
Founder
Founder

You can't selectively pull out individual computers, the backup DB is an entire snapshot of all the client backups. If you want to archive these old systems, I suggest making an individual BDBB backup when you want to archive an old system's backups, then delete the computer from WHS. If you ever need to get at those old backups, you would create a new BDBB backup of the current backup DB, then restore the old BDBB backup to get what you need from the archived system, then restore the current BDBB backup. That sounds like a lot of work and time to me personally, I'd probably try to move my data around so I could just delete the old client PC from WHS and not worry about the old system's backups.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks for the follow up on this Alex, and thanks for keeping this site up. Like most everyone else still here, I'm really happy with the functionality of the MSS and still wish Redmond hadn't pulled the plug...

EOL has come and gone for our little servers and without the ability to share the creative work-arounds to keep them and an "obsolete" OS running, we'd all be at a huge disadvantage. I really should contribute to help keep the site up.

yakuza wrote:
to me personally, I'd probably try to move my data around so I could just delete the old client PC from WHS and not worry about the old system's backups.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "moving the data around?"

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

I would move any important data into a shared folder on the server with duplication enabled (or onto another client that I would keep connected to WHS), then delete the computer from WHS so I no longer had the full OS backups.

Thanks