It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Many of the add-ins that are available for the MSS do not specify what versions of HW/SW they are compatible with.
For instance, I assume that any add-ins automatically downloaded, or available from the console would be compatible with your current HW/SW, but there are many add-ins offered from other sources.

Of the add-ins listed on this site, some specify clearly any HW/SW restrictions, such as the MSS Fan Control add-in.
Others, such as WHSBDBB don't seem to list any restrictions. Does it really work on all HW, and all SW versions (v1, v2.5, v3, 2011, 2012...)?
If I upgrade my ex475 from v1 to v3 or 2011, I'd really like to know upfront what works.
The HSS Smart Classic (std or beta) seems very useful on the v1, but I don't see it listed for any other version (too bad for v3).

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am 
Founder
Founder

The Add-Ins created by us are all for WHS v1 only. MSS Fan Control is the only Add-In that is hardware dependent. San Encore and the 3.0 Fixes Add-Ins are the only ones requiring certain versions of the MSS software. I can't speak for Add-Ins from other authors.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK, I think I have been confusing what constitutes WHS and MSS SW. See if this is a correct statement:
The WHS SW is the windows OS (server 2003 based) - essentially all the server functionality code.
The HP MSS SW is the platform/HW specific driver stuff for the ex4* series. Anything else?

As far as Windows Home Server, there is only:
WHSv1 aka 'Quattro' with Powerpacks (service packs?) 1,2 & 3, and latest console,backup, DE versions of 6.0.2423.0
WHSv2 aka 'Vail' aka 'WHS 2011' with various updates
WHSv3 aka 'WHS 2012e' with various updates

And as far as HP MediaSmart Server, the major releases are:
MSSv1.0 with final updates up to 1.3.8.25155
MSSv2.5 unknown updates
MSSv3.0 with final updates up to 3.3.1.35433

Is this accurate?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 pm 

Your making it more complicated then it actually is. All MSS and DV models run WHSv1 commonly referred to as WHS or Windows Home Server which is indeed bases on Windows Server 2003.

Microsoft released one addition version of Windows Home Server which is referred to as WHS2011 which is based on Server2008.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Home Server and created a replacement for it called Server 2012 Essentials aka WS2012E which you are referring to as WHSv3 but its a completely different animal all together and comes with a very nice price too. The latest version of WS2012E is WS2012E R2.

All ADD-INs for WHSv1 are typically listed as for WHS and some may have a requirement for certain OS upgrade requirements. This is actually not an issue if your WHS server software is fully up to date.

ADD-INs written for WHS2011 will be listed as such and they are installed differently then for WHSv1. When you look at the ADD-INs they will specify WHS or WHSv1 which is what is installed on all HP MSS and DV Models or they will specify WHS2011 which was never provided by HP for the MSS or DV Models.

With each MSS and DV model HP sold they provided different versions of their software on top of the WHS OS. These versions are model specific because of hardware differences although towards the end of the MSS life HP did release the latest software for the earlier EX47x and EX48x models known as HP v3.x.

For the EX47x there are v1.x which shipped with server and v3.x sold later as an upgrade

For the EX48x there was v2.x which shipped with the server and later a 2.5 upgrade was provided and like the EX47x HP did sell the v3.x upgrade

For the LX19x I believe the software version was 2.x and I am not certain if it upgraded or not to 2.5 but no other upgrades were provided by HP for this model.

For the EX49x there is only one version of their software and its the v3.x

HP sold two other servers under the DataVault line the x310 and x510 which were marketed towards business the x310 had a scaled down version of the 3.0 while the x510 had basically the same v3.x the EX49x had.

So if your running the OS provided by HP with their value added software features and enhancements its still Windows Home Server v1 at its core and so all ADD-INs written for Windows Home Server v1 will run on these servers as well as any other WHSv1 server produced by other OEMs or those which others have build to run WHS.

All the updates from Microsoft and HP are still there for download but what is not available from HP is the v3.x upgrade for the EX47x and EX48x.

Unfortunately both HP and Microsoft have discontinued WHS but from time to time you will see some updates pushed out from Microsoft for WHSv1.

As for ADD-IN's yes you can still find them and download them but many are no longer available or easy to find and most of the development work on them has basically come to an end although its possible you may find updates and the most recent I am aware of is HomeServerSMART Classic.

As for WHS2011 not to many people developed ADD-INs for it but there are a few which are very useful if you ever go that route but finding WHS2011 will be difficult because Microsoft stopped selling it to retailers even though it was always an OEM product. You can still find it on eBay but the people there have been selling it for $100 where as it was sold for $50 or less. If you can find a copy still in the factory sealed package for a decent price you may want to purchase it but never purchase just the key you will want the a factory sealed OEM Package.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks