It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Good news everyone! It's been almost two years since I offered an update to Home Server SMART for WHS v1, which on our website is called Home Server SMART Classic. Today, a new (beta) version has been posted!

Home Server SMART Classic has gotten a major overhaul, and now includes nearly all the features that are present in its successor, Home Server SMART 2013. Unlike HSS 2013, Home Server SMART Classic is built just for WHS v1.

Because it's only been tested on my EX490, I'm releasing it as a beta build. I'd like to get more feedback from folks before I call it gold.

Home Server SMART Classic now includes support for SSDs, email and mobile device alerts (Pushover, Prowl, Boxcar, Notify My Android and Toasty) supporting Apple iOS, Android and Windows Phone. HSS Classic also includes an overhauled Settings interface and also provides you with the ability to run disk self-tests.

If memory serves me right, HSS couldn't read the SMART data from disks attached to the eSATA port under WHS v1. That problem still exists today; interestingly it's the very same driver that I use with WHS 2011 and 2012, downloaded from Silicon Image's website. Not sure what's going on there. :(

Anyhow, please hop on out to http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeSe ... cBeta.html and try it out. Find a bug? Please report it here: https://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/bugtraq

:sanjuan: :beerme:

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I would add a bug, if i could, but i'll stick it here instead. (For what ever reason, i cant figure out how to add a bug-report. Perhaps something that needs a activation on the account? Or i'm just to daft / tired.)

Looks like there is a "bug" where the beta blocks Smart 2013 - 32bit installs even after it has been installed. Admittedly, it can be a bug in 2013-32bit as well, since it has been installed, installed, and then i installed & un-installed the beta.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:19 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Mr. B,

I'm not sure I understand your question. I did receive an email indicating you registered on the bug tracking website, but posting here is OK too. I check her pretty regularly. :)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the beta "blocks" SMART 2013. Do you have WindowSMART 2013 installed on your WHS v1 box?

It is true that it's possible to have "old" HSS, HSS Classic (the beta) and WindowSMART 2013 installed on the same WHS v1 box, all at the same time. The installers will not prevent this, because they use different GUIDs for the product code and upgrade code. The changes to HSS Classic, including it's title, are why the Console sees HSS Classic as a different add-in from HSS. For this reason, I included in the instructions that folks need to uninstall HSS first, then install HSS Classic -- and reboot if instructed to do so.

We never officially supported running WindowSMART 2013 on WHS "v1" because HSS has always been available. However, because many people were running WS2013 on WHS, to take advantage of the newer features, we decided to release a substantially upgraded version of Home Server SMART. While it's been listed as HSS Classic on the website for several months, this release is the first to actually include Classic in the product name.

If you have WindowSMART 2013 installed on your WHS v1 box, here's my recommendation:

1. Uninstall HSS Classic, if it's installed.
2. Uninstall "old" HSS, if it's installed.
3. Uninstall WindowSMART 2013.
4. REBOOT
5. Reinstall HSS Classic.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks