It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice.

I just re-built a WHS V1 box (HP Datavault AKA EX495) at my wife's office after it was having a variety of problems. I used the HP recovery method and built it clean with a Hitachi 500GB drive I had laying around. The box will only be used for client backups and 500GB is more than enough for that in her office environment.

I have two SATA 1.5TB drives I've used over the years to create BDBB backups as well as copies of all the files on the servers. In preparation for the "recovery" I plugged one of those drives (the one with the more recent BDBB image) into an ESATA bay plugged into the server.

The server, for reasons I don't understand, automatically added this disk to the storage pool and in the process deleted all of the files. I was able to remove it and then add it back as a storage drive, but the BDBB backups are GONE.

What can I do to prevent this from happening with the other disk I have (plug it in and have the damn server delete the files with no input from me)? I'm guessing there is no way to recover what's on the disk this already happened to without using some data recovery software.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Founder
Founder

Did you have the disk connected when you performed the Factory Reset? If so, any drives attached are wiped. There is no way that WHS will automatically add a disk to the storage pool.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Did you have the disk connected when you performed the Factory Reset? If so, any drives attached are wiped. There is no way that WHS will automatically add a disk to the storage pool.

The disk was not connected during the factory reset or restore. The box had been booted up at home but I had not re-run the "initial setup" on it or connected the external drive.

I did run "initial setup" with that disk connected which probably explains the problem. Still disappointing.

If I read you correctly then I should be safe to plug the other backup disk and do a backup restore?

Another question. I gave the re-loaded WHS the same name and admin password that it had before. Will I need to re-load the connector on each client to get it re-connected after I restore the BDBB data? I did have to reload connector on one of the PCs in order to do the initial setup run.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

What you need to do is pay special attention to the notification you get when you add the backup drive.
Elect not to format it and not to add it to your storage pool.
The default is to add it to the storage pool and format it.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

Ah, yes, having the disk connected during initial setup could have done it.

Yes, you should have no issues connecting the other drive now.

Yes, you will need to re-install the connector on each PC (or alternatively run C:\program files\windows home server\discovery.exe).

Be absolutely sure that all WHS updates have been downloaded and applied before you restore the BDBB backup, otherwise you may lose some or all backups if the versions do not match.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:04 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Alex, thanks for the info.

Recovering the DB with my 2nd backup drive was uneventful, although it stinks that I lost the other ones because these are really out of date.

The box was up since Sunday evening and reported everything was current for WHS and Windows updates. Interestingly every single client with the exception of one complained that the version on the client was out of date and needed an update. Not quite sure what to make of that.

I will let the backups all run this evening and check tomorrow to see if any of them failed, or if the backup database integrity is messed up.

I was actually going to update this box to run WHS 2011 similar to the EX495 I have at home but I couldn't stomach the thought of losing all of those older backups... there's some safety and security in knowing you can load a box with an image for 2+ years back when you knew it was working fine if it starts doing something really screwy.

Thanks