It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 am 

Greetings and thanks for all the welcoming words :P

In Denmark where I live, new tax rules have made it possible to by hardware from your employer deducting the price from your salary before tax over a period of 12 month. This means that the net price for your equippent is taxfree. As income tax in DK is 50% :crazy: this means that your gear is half price.
Several big hardware resellers have created packages and handling the tax issues and the shipping. One of the big time selling products is the EX490 :encore: I'm one of the customers.

I found this site searching google for forums for EX490 and here I am.

My EX490 is still standing boxed while I read more and seach for the right "getting started" threads covering my needs (Ideas are very welcome)
I have some 6TB video footage and need network storage for my AVID editing solution. I have som 500GB digital pictures that I want secured and dublicated. Alle this data should be available on my PS3 and 5 PC's, but streaming video and pictures are a secondary benefit.

Automated backups and dublication (for the purpose of recovery) are another important issue

I use Apple Airport Express for feeding music into my music systems. The music is in 5 iTunes libraries that I would like consolidated.

I guess this is EX490 straight forward stuff - I'm still searching for som basic information on how to calculate your needed storage and how the use "RAID 1-ich" mechanism works, disk layout and how to swap a disc out off the box to take to another place for safekeeping

I'll continue the reading and like a known American Senator with a funny accent say:

I'll be back

Cheers from DK

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 am 

Storage4me wrote:
Greetings and thanks for all the welcoming words :P

In Denmark where I live, new tax rules have made it possible to by hardware from your employer deducting the price from your salary before tax over a period of 12 month. This means that the net price for your equippent is taxfree. As income tax in DK is 50% :crazy: this means that your gear is half price.
Several big hardware resellers have created packages and handling the tax issues and the shipping. One of the big time selling products is the EX490 :encore: I'm one of the customers.

I found this site searching google for forums for EX490 and here I am.

My EX490 is still standing boxed while I read more and seach for the right "getting started" threads covering my needs (Ideas are very welcome)
I have some 6TB video footage and need network storage for my AVID editing solution. I have som 500GB digital pictures that I want secured and dublicated. Alle this data should be available on my PS3 and 5 PC's, but streaming video and pictures are a secondary benefit.

Automated backups and dublication (for the purpose of recovery) are another important issue

I use Apple Airport Express for feeding music into my music systems. The music is in 5 iTunes libraries that I would like consolidated.

I guess this is EX490 straight forward stuff - I'm still searching for som basic information on how to calculate your needed storage and how the use "RAID 1-ich" mechanism works, disk layout and how to swap a disc out off the box to take to another place for safekeeping

I'll continue the reading and like a known American Senator with a funny accent say:

I'll be back

Cheers from DK

First off, welcome onboard from Denmark :mss:

Scary that Arnold is probably known throughout the world as being an American Governor (or Governator) :crazy:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Welcome, Storage4me! You may want to look at the MS WHS Technical Library at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347480%28WS.10%29.aspx, specifically under the Technical Briefs at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd309758(WS.10).aspx, where you will find a lot of good technical information to get you started.

Then look at the WIKI section on this site.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ow right, the introducing post..

So, I'm matthi from Belgium. I've did a couple of post before I noticed this thread. I'm currently owning an EX490, since the EX495 is not available in Belgium; so I upgraded it myself to an Intel E7500 as a lot of you did. Before the HP, I had my own build including 4 cold-swap HDDs.

For a living I'm a network/consultant engineer with some good Cisco/Juniper knowledge. I'm only 26 yrs old so there is a lot to come at me. As for hobbies, I'm spending the minor free time I have reading through hardware/WHS sites and keeping an eye on new products. I'm always up for a new build, screwdrivers are never far away.

To be a little more specific about Belgium, it's pretty easy to get to all sorts of hardware, except for the damn Norco cases I had my eye on :). If not found in a Belgian webshop, there's a big chance I can find it in The Netherlands/UK, so I can get my hands on pretty much everything.

So hi to you all, thanks so far for the interesting readings I've had here. And I hope I can contribute to this as much as I can.

Rgrds,
matthi

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 am 

matthi wrote:
Ow right, the introducing post..

So, I'm matthi from Belgium. I've did a couple of post before I noticed this thread. I'm currently owning an EX490, since the EX495 is not available in Belgium; so I upgraded it myself to an Intel E7500 as a lot of you did. Before the HP, I had my own build including 4 cold-swap HDDs.

For a living I'm a network/consultant engineer with some good Cisco/Juniper knowledge. I'm only 26 yrs old so there is a lot to come at me. As for hobbies, I'm spending the minor free time I have reading through hardware/WHS sites and keeping an eye on new products. I'm always up for a new build, screwdrivers are never far away.

To be a little more specific about Belgium, it's pretty easy to get to all sorts of hardware, except for the damn Norco cases I had my eye on :). If not found in a Belgian webshop, there's a big chance I can find it in The Netherlands/UK, so I can get my hands on pretty much everything.

So hi to you all, thanks so far for the interesting readings I've had here. And I hope I can contribute to this as much as I can.

Rgrds,
matthi

Hi matthi, thanks for sharing and welcome to the gang :mss:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

r1tony wrote:
I joined recently.. found the site via google after researching the EX470 or building my own for WHS.

About the same for me (490 here), to be honest, I have done so much recent web searching it is hard to say :P But I believe the plug-ins are what I was looking at (for backing up my home server) which brought me to this site. I know windows fairly well, and if my experiences of past hold true, Microsoft Backups have never been very well implemented.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hi Guys, Ive been following you forum since November '09. I came across it when I was looking for a new computer for my wife. U C, until lately I was a hdd horder. Every time I bought an new computer I removed the hdds from the old, put them in usb or esata enclosures and connected them to my computer. As soon as I had enough of them, I could start storing my 500 plus video collection on my computer. How cool was that? :crazy: Anyway, I decided to get my wife a HP SlimLine because it looked nice and her home computing needs are minimal.

At HP.com there was an add for discounted ex490's. I reviewed the specs, downloaded the manual and read countless reviews. . . of the ex48*. Couldn't find any on the ex49* so I Googled and found you. After several weeks of reading, on December 1 09, I purchase the SlimLine and the ex490. On Christmas Day I gave my wife her computer however, I still hadn't opened the ex. because I was still reading your forums for more information, bugs etc. I looked at other sites with photos and videos of the upgrades mentioned in your forums ... btw, everyone in the other sites mentioned :mss: as the place for further information. I finally decided to go with the cpu upgrade (E6300 dual core) but not the 4gb memory upgrade. I also purched 3x1TB hdd's.

In January, armed with the E6300 and 3 hdd's, I opened the ex490 box for the first time. Thirty minutes later :sanjuan:, however \:D/ was short lived. Nothing worked as advertised. Reboot, restore, restore, reboot, re re re. ](*,) Left the machines running, went to bed. Next morning, wake up computer, the 490 is humming. What the :-k

Everythings going great but, I figure I'll be needing more space when I start adding cd's and photos so I think Hey, how about larger enclosures for those old drives? I find several however, after weeks of research, the Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU2S2 is the most reasonable at $169.00. I Google it and what comes up, your site, with a discussion of the ProBox with pictures. I'm convinced but, the price is a holdup, $169.00. [-( Then I go to Newegg.com. They have the unit for $109.00. However, they wont have any until March 8. This is still Feb. I decide that instead of using my old hdds I will get 4x1TB drives. (My bday was coming so I convinced everyone to chip in for one present :lol: )

Unit arrives March 9. Install drives, plug in, nothing. Hit on switch. lights up 5 seconds, nothing. Check esata port. Nothing. Finally, go to usb port. Stays on but server does not see drives. :evil: Recheck usb connection, slightly loose. Adjust, 4 drives recognized ready to add. Still bummed about esatas failure to respond.

This morning I decide take anothe shot at esata. esata humming. What the :-k

A word to all newbies like myself. Your new electronic need to warm up and work the kinks out. 24 to 48 hours is not an unreasonable amount of time to allow your machines to get oriented and talk to each other.

HP M9500t Win 7

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckeroo Banzai

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
Founder
Founder

TAdams - the WHS backups are quite nice, IMHO, definitely let us know if you have any questions about how they work.

sasman48, thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forums!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:25 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi All.

Just joined today.

I also found this site by Google - this place is top 1 (or two) for any searches on how to configure Windows Home Server or the MediaSmart.

I bought my EX490 about a month ago - with the main intention of having a system I could leave on to feed the Apple TV. While difficult to accomplish this - I found the experience to be beneficial. I've also installed Windows Media Player 11 to the Home Server and am currently streaming my .m4vs and mp3's to both Apple TV and XBox360. I love the ability to be able to download the 80 gb of music and 800 gb of video where ever I may be in the world.

My Next steps are to upgrade the EX490 Hardware and get a basic WHS os on it without the HP software. I'm comfortable installing OS and hardware changes - had an MSCE way back in NT4 days. Really looking forward to working with IIS again and seeing if I can get the WHS to serve up images to internet pages... Maybe writing a streaming app of my own to work with the iphone.

Really looking forward to Vail as well - one of the main reasons for the processor upgrade.

Future upgrades will be Home Automation and control, Continued streaming to additional home appliances, and whatever else I find that might tickle the technology bone.

I'm 39 - work in Pittsburgh for a Software company (I'm in implementations).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome, TedC, definitely let us know how you get on with your mods, any tools you develop, and any tips you come up with!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I joined today after finding the site a two days ago via a Google search.

I didn't find the site until after my EX495 order shipped (otherwise I'd have simply ordered the EX490 and done the CPU and memory upgrade) but... the EX495 gets delivered tomorrow and once I'm back from my weekend fun I'll start setting it up.

I want to use it to easily share (and sync) files between my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro running OSX and when I use them to run XP via bootcamp. I'll also be trying to get iTunes audio streaming running from the computers to the entertainment center. I have a 1 TB timecapsule that will continue to be used until I'm sure that the HP implementation of time machine is working. Video streaming to the plasma in the entertainment center would be nice, but it's not on the initial list.

I currently have an eSATA PM box hanging off the Mac Pro that I may move to the EX495 once I get things sorted out but I have 3 x 1.5 TB Caviar 'Blacks' that I will be adding to the EX495 on delivery and initial configuration.

Any thoughts regarding what I should look out for during my initial setup? I've been looking at the wiki's and guides ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Welcome, TurtleDriver, to the world of MSS/WHS! Good to have you aboard!

Basic advice is very simple: Take it slow at first and commit NOTHING to the MSS that you do not retain a copy of. Play with it for a few days before adding any new drives, etc. Try many things (sharing, streaming, remote access, backups, Server Recovery, etc...) and then, after a couple weeks, do a Factory Reset and start all over.

WHY?

(a) to get a good burn-in before you trust critical data,

(b) so you can learn from your early experiences.

Almost everyone thinks of a better way to have organized their server AFTER they have used it a while. Unfortunately, many then have a large commitment to their existing configurations and then have a good deal of pain to get it reconfigured. If you plan on doing it twice from the beginning you are more relaxed, unconcerned about errors and are willing to experiment. And the recovery/reset steps give you confidence that you can fix things in the future.

Good luck!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks for the advice. I was debating adding the 3 new drives immediately vs doing an initial setup and seeing how it goes. I'll wait to add the drives. Space isn't an issue, I have ~6 TB on my Mac Pro already and not going to commit anything exclusively to the MSS until I see it's working well.

Can the Reset be done over the network or must the MSS be directly attached to the PC? I saw a few posts about issue with the IP addressing ...
(I plan to hang the EX495 off the router to which I connect my cable modem and a gigabit switch for the Macs and the printer)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 am 

TurtleDriver wrote:

Can the Reset be done over the network or must the MSS be directly attached to the PC? I saw a few posts about issue with the IP addressing ...
(I plan to hang the EX495 off the router to which I connect my cable modem and a gigabit switch for the Macs and the printer)

Since you have an EX495, a factory restore or server recovery (essentially a reset but some differences between the two depending on whether you want preserve your data) must be done where the client PC is attached directly to the MSS. It cannot go through the router for the process to work. The process used by the EX49x series is different than the prior generations of MSSes. Of course, once it's all set up and the "reset" is done, then you can hang it off your router for general access by all client PCs on the network.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:21 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Small story.. First I saw rather expensive HP Ex490 in the self of a computer store. It looked good ;) .. I had had few NAS storage drives from Zyxel and Qnap but never were satisfied with the data transfer speeds. So I started to find out more about the good looking HP mediasmart server that I saw few weeks ago.. I found out it was a good choice for user who needs large storage space, quite fast transfer speeds with good energy efficiency. So I went to store and bought the ex490 unit. I didnt know much about it thoug...

So I installed drives into it and after few days I noticed that it didnt not worked as well as I had thought It should work. Home server console was sluggish and It took too long time to convert videos and I was littlebit dissapointed to the unit at that time. I noticed allmost allways processor occupancy was 100% and server was in "hang" state most of the time.

So I started to look for information on the Web, and surfed my way to mediasmartserver.net. And the "woorld opened to me" ;) I changed better processor and later changed bigger RAM according to Alex Kuretz guides and peoples experiences from the forum.

Now I am very happy with the unit!

So "thank you very many" for all of you, live long and prosper mediasmart.net!! :sanjuan: :rofl:

- 2xHD103UJ, 1TB
- 1xHD203WI, 2TB*
- 1xST310005, 1TB*
- 1xLP ST320005, 2TB
- 2xGREEN ST2000DL003, 2TB*
- 1xWD20EADS, 2TB*
- 1xWD W10 01FALS, 1TB*

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next