It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 am 
Founder
Founder

The new members have been coming out of the wood works over the past couple weeks, and my traffic has nearly doubled. I know getting linked on Fatwallet here and here (thank you to the folks that posted nice comments in those threads) raised a bunch of traffic, and having Donavon at homeserverhacks.com, Phil at MSWHS.com, and today David at HomeServerShow.com link to my blog post about the Encore SKUs also generated a ton of traffic.

So, if you're a new member who signed up in the last week or two, let us know where and how you found this site and why you decided to join. I've done a few things "under the covers" so to speak with site layout and ad placements, been participating a bit more on the forums, writing more blog posts, and am curious to find out what's working to build up this awesome community we've got here.

Thanks for your input, and above all welcome, we hope you'll stick around. 8)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
dbone1026, msawyer91, synergy1

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:19 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

and don't forget to participate in this thread Reverse Introductions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I came across the site through Google.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

I had another thought - I bet a lot of new people are joining because they snapped up the MSS on one of the recent big sales.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Raistlin_HT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:46 pm 
ubermensch

yakuza wrote:
I had another thought - I bet a lot of new people are joining because they snapped up the MSS on one of the recent big sales.

Part of it, but it's likely just part of a natural progression once the data bug was fixed. The negative reviews stopped, and mainstream market penetration began. The concept was always good, and now it's bringing in the market it was always intended for, rather than just early adopters.

BTW, for any new comers reading this, there was but no longer is a software problem early on which has since been totally eliminated. Don't get freaked :shock:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:07 pm 

Brynwall wrote:

Ditto.

I had had my MSS for about 9 months and am not really using it to its capability.

I was looking for an answer to why I was getting a critical health alert for my McAfee not properly working when I found this Forum.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have been researching about the MSS is for a while and I forget where I saw it, but I was linked to the X2 CPU thread. After reading that, I started looking for a good deal on a MSS and within 2 weeks the specials started. Once I ordered a MSS, I knew that I would have a lot of questions; and that is why I am here now.

Rob

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

To all,

I just joined the forum today after I purchased a new EX 475 from the online HP Store. While I was at work today doing some research on the 475, I ran across this forum and read some great feedback on the product. I did read that someone who used to work at HP mentioned that you can upgrade the memory without voiding the warranty. When I called HP tonight to order the 475, I asked him if I could upgrade the memory and CPU without voiding the warranty? He didn't know off the top of his head, so he asked one of his gurus while he put me on hold. He came back to tell me I couldn't do it without voiding the warranty. I mentioned it was odd that he would say that because I read in a Media Smart Server forum that I could do it. He wanted the URL, so I gave it to him and he read the post I was referring to. He was surprised, to say the least, that it could be done because all the literature he could get to at the moment said it couldn't be done without voiding the warranty. I didn't want to take up to much of his time with that, but if he wanted to, he could follow the rest of the thread and find other blogs with references to HP's official lifting of the warranty void.

I've been reading the forum for the last 3 hours and can't believe the feedback, advice and support you all give each other. I won't be receiving my 475 for about a week, but when it gets here, I'll know exactly what to do, or better yet, what not to do when I set it up.

Thank you all
Mike

EX475: 2GB, 3x500gb, 1 TB
PCs: Dell XPS M1730, 2.6Ghz, 4GB, 1 64GB SS, 1 200GB, Nvidia 8700 GTX
Alienware Area-51 m17x, Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz , 1 320GB, 4GB Ram, Dual 512MB 9800M GT,
WideUXGA 1920 x 1200
Router: Netgear WPN824

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Brynwall, Hollad Hacker, Rob50lx, boggsy19, and all of our newcomers:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!! \:D/

Don't be shy to participate in the forums. It really is a great community here.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 am 

Welcome all to this great site. There are a lot of great threads out there and let's just say this forum stepped up my geekdom to the next level!!!

Try to research through as many threads as possible, but don't be afraid to ask any questions, whether through a thread or PM, there really are a lot of great guys and gals here.

I am working on getting a few more people I know into the dark world of the MSS (I think I have one definite lined up so far) :mss:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 am 

Brynwall wrote:

I aslo found the site on the interweb. I originally bought my MSS as one of those "Hey, that would be cool to have" toys while I was home on vacation (spent the last year in Baghdad as a contractor). Got through the initial set up then had to shut it down for the next 6 months, as it was one more headache the wife didn't want. Once I got home in October, began playing with it and seeing the real potential for the MSS! One of my smartest purchases in a long time!

The forum contains a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

boggsy and jeff, welcome, and thanks for all the kind words and feedback. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

boggsy19 wrote:
...He didn't know off the top of his head, so he asked one of his gurus while he put me on hold. He came back to tell me I couldn't do it without voiding the warranty. I mentioned it was odd that he would say that because I read in a Media Smart Server forum that I could do it. He wanted the URL, so I gave it to him and he read the post I was referring to. He was surprised, to say the least, that it could be done because all the literature he could get to at the moment said it couldn't be done without voiding the warranty....

00--00 Tech Support ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:56 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
boggsy and jeff, welcome, and thanks for all the kind words and feedback. :mss:

thank you!! Glad to be hear.

Boggsy

EX475: 2GB, 3x500gb, 1 TB
PCs: Dell XPS M1730, 2.6Ghz, 4GB, 1 64GB SS, 1 200GB, Nvidia 8700 GTX
Alienware Area-51 m17x, Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz , 1 320GB, 4GB Ram, Dual 512MB 9800M GT,
WideUXGA 1920 x 1200
Router: Netgear WPN824

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I joined recently.. found the site via google after researching the EX470 or building my own for WHS.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next