It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:48 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If they still have any of those in stock they may go on sale for a good price once the new ones are available. It might be worth watching...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 am 

New here - looking for a solution to the ever increasing demand for storage at home. Found my way to this site via Google

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Also a new poster (but have been lurking since early December). Brother-in-law is a huge fan of WHS and found this site through Google. I have an EX 485 on order with scheduled delivery for tomorrow. I'm certain I'll have plenty of questions and requests for tips, tricks, etc. once I have it up and running! I'll definitely be browsing the forum for suggestions and opinions on HDDs--either 1 TB or 1.5 TB--as I'll be expanding capacity of the base system immediately.

Thanks for making this all possible, Alex. The site is great, with tons of great information and helpful experts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am 
Founder
Founder

Good stuff, I think I'll make this a sticky as a place for new members to introduce themselves as I've really enjoyed hearing your stories on how you found the site and what you like about the MSS and WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I recently joined the forums because my interest in the MediaSmart Servers has spiked recently. I saw an ad for MSS through a podcast that I watch, Diggnation and TRS, and also heard that there is support for both Windows and OSX. Once I heard this I found any and every review of the hardware that I could find, which brought me to this site. :google: FTW

So far I have been just reading the blog posts and some threads, but I hope to start asking more question once the new hardware is readily available. So far, this is the best site out there and I can't wait to get more involved.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:31 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi!

New to the world of MHS. found the site through a Google search and links when I was researching. I got a great deal from HP on the 487 so I went with the dual drive config and I'm adding two 1.5 TB drives (I've read about replacing the main drive, but I'll probably not do that yet). I'm pretty risk averse with my data, so I have two home PC's with RAID. I'll likely configure the MHS to duplicate; I know I lose 1/2 the storage, but it's a place to start.

Thanks for ALL the great info, looking forward to learning what to do next. backups are great, but now to figure out how to use the muscle of the server for more. Between this and my Professional BBQ hobby, I set no free time in the near future.

Great to be a part.

Russ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

okruss wrote:
I'm pretty risk averse with my data, so I have two home PC's with RAID. I'll likely configure the MHS to duplicate; I know I lose 1/2 the storage, but it's a place to start.

Congrats on your EX487 purchase Russ!!!

So, you are backing up a RAID/mirrored drive to your server WITH duplication? I know redundancy is important when it comes to data backup, but "diversification" is a better way to handle this IMHO (e.g., off site backup, online backup, etc. instead of several duplication at the same point/location). What if someone brakes into your house and steals both your PC and the server? Fire? Earthquake? I have an external hard drive at work that I bring back home to update my backups of each PCs (with RAID1) with 2-3 day intervals in addition to an online storage backup. Once I get my EX485, I am planning to utilize the Amazon S3 service as well.

Good luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hello

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:27 pm 
Founder
Founder

DrewG5 wrote:
Hello

That doesn't count, you should give a more proper introduction. 00--00 :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

tenderidol wrote:
okruss wrote:
I'm pretty risk averse with my data, so I have two home PC's with RAID. I'll likely configure the MHS to duplicate; I know I lose 1/2 the storage, but it's a place to start.

Congrats on your EX487 purchase Russ!!!

So, you are backing up a RAID/mirrored drive to your server WITH duplication?
Good luck!

No, I have two home PC's both with RAID and I'm not backing those up to the server. I do copy my important files off site so if the house burns down, my INSURANCE will have a lot to replace, just not my files and I'll move that likely to the Amazon service sometime.

I may change eventually the home PC's raid and copy everything to the MHS, but not for now, too many new features in the MHS to figure out first

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 pm 

yakuza wrote:
The new members have been coming out of the wood works over the past couple weeks, and my traffic has nearly doubled. I know getting linked on Fatwallet here and here (thank you to the folks that posted nice comments in those threads) raised a bunch of traffic, and having Donavon at homeserverhacks.com, Phil at MSWHS.com, and today David at HomeServerShow.com link to my blog post about the Encore SKUs also generated a ton of traffic.

So, if you're a new member who signed up in the last week or two, let us know where and how you found this site and why you decided to join. I've done a few things "under the covers" so to speak with site layout and ad placements, been participating a bit more on the forums, writing more blog posts, and am curious to find out what's working to build up this awesome community we've got here.

Thanks for your input, and above all welcome, we hope you'll stick around. 8)

Alex I found out about your forum after reading a long thread on Macrumors.com forum (many there are interested in the new MSS) and then doing a google search. Thinking very seriously of buying the new media smart server (MSS). Just trying to learn all that I can. One function that's very important to me is UpnP for my Reciva radio. IM tired of keeping my MAC on all the time. Would love a central storage and media center all in one unit from HP. Not happy what I read about photos and the way it works. Would also like to allow others to ftp to my server for sharing files. Im pretty much a geek but have a lot to learn about this area!--))) Thank you for hosting this forum. 1st Post here--)) :banana:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:21 am 

I discovered the site through a Google search while considering the purchase of an EX470 quite a few months ago. I was trying to decide between the MSS or a Drobo. With all the great info on this site, it encouraged me more toward the MSS. As my MSS exposure increased (thanks to this site) the Encore began to be discussed. So I waited until I could put my name in for an EX485 pre-order, which I did on Jan 7th. Unfortunately I found out by calling HP that they could not find my pre-order, so I have reordered a second time and hoping the next wave of shipments will happen soon.

There may be some upside to my wait. First, now that the initial wave of 48X’s are out greater minds than mine might come up with a work around on the esata port multiplier issue. That would be great. Second, now that two company’s have 2TB drives out, I’m hoping to find out the pros/cons of each drive in a MSS. So, even with no MSS in-house, the people and knowledge on this site are proving to be a great benefit. Thanks to all.

Warren...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:55 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

okruss wrote:
...Professional BBQ hobby

How do we get samples? :beerme:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:57 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DrewG5 wrote:
Hello

Ah, a man of few words. Gotta love'em unless you've just asked them a question. :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Mine is a sad story, starting 2 weeks before Christmas. I was just surfing the web when my main system became unresponsive. I tried killing the IE processes to get control back and then the system blue-screened. It seems that the system drive had run out of spare sectors and one too many dead sectors had killed the drive. I had been using my old desktop as a server for storage and streaming so I got an RMA drive and figured I'll just restore from backup. When the replacement drive got here I stuck it my machine and reloaded the OS, when I went to restore my previous backup the "server" decided to hiccup and lost all the external storage which, of course, had all my backups on it. I spent the next 2 weeks and $80 on software getting as much data back from the crashed drive as I could. I'm still finding things I need to reinstall even today.

I had been looking at the MSS for a while thinking it was a really neat box but kinda pricey at $500. I had missed all the killer deals on them but after all the fun and excitement I had recently, I bit the bullet and went in to the local Microcenter and paid full boat for the MSS and 2 1TB drives to go in it. I managed to recover most of the 1.5TB I had hanging off the old "server" and moved it to the MSS. When the 2TB drives became available last week I grabbed one and now have everything mirrored on the MSS. I hated spending that kind of cash right at Christmas but the time I spent dealing with all of this was worth much more.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next