It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I was cleaning up some web bookmarks and saw I still had this site bookmarked. Felt a little nostalgia and started going through my old posts. I received my HP EX485 on February 4, 2009. Since then I have

Installed new processor. (Pentium Dual-Core E5200)
Updated memory to 4GB.
Purchased/Install MediaSmart debug board.
Running FreeNAS 11.3.
10 TB of storage. (Two 4TB and one 2TB WD Red drives. Other slot used for the debug board.)

It is used for TimeMachine backups for 3 macs and NFS shares to a Ubuntu server running docker containers for applications. I love this server and I am amazed it has lasted over 11 years. Thanks HP!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Goldfinger for this post
Vit

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:49 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey there. I got my EX 490 somewhere around that time. I never ran the celeron processor that came in it (never even turned it on) I ordered the server with a Core 2 Duo E7500 I believe it was. Got it up and running and at some point after, I bought the debug cable from the guy on here who sold them back in the day. I mounted it to the side of the case. I upgraded to 4 GB of ram at some point and then when WHS v1 crashed a few years back I went to Amahi (based on Fedora Linux). I had a power supply die on me and when I replaced that I put in a Xeon L3360. Now I have it running with an SSD as the boot drive in the bottom slot and 3 WD Reds totaling 10 TB. I am running straight Fedora 31 now with greyhole as the drive pooling solution. I was just looking at getting an eSATA enclosure to put 4 or more 5 drives on this thing. Love this server.

Mine is being used as a media server currently, hosting out to clients in the house and just general NAS functionality.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:15 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Great to hear about everyone's use stories, especially the long use ones!

I started with ex475 when they first came out in '08. I gave a half hearted effort to upgrade to an Athlon, but I never had the time to sort it out. By 2013 I had a PSU fail, but other than that it just kept running.

In '16, I was lucky enough to grab a ex49x that was new old stock, got one of those video debug boards, slid in some new 2tb WD Gold's, and loaded in v1. Since then I've really enjoyed toying around with my MSS and am really thankful for all the help and support the members of this forum have been.

Thanks to you, learning the MSS over all these years has been a pleasure.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:03 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
Great to hear about everyone's use stories, especially the long use ones!

I started with ex475 when they first came out in '08. I gave a half hearted effort to upgrade to an Athlon, but I never had the time to sort it out. By 2013 I had a PSU fail, but other than that it just kept running.

In '16, I was lucky enough to grab a ex49x that was new old stock, got one of those video debug boards, slid in some new 2tb WD Gold's, and loaded in v1. Since then I've really enjoyed toying around with my MSS and am really thankful for all the help and support the members of this forum have been.

Thanks to you, learning the MSS over all these years has been a pleasure.

You're still running WHS v1 to this day? Kudos to you, sir.

I had no idea that the ex475 came with an AMD processor and I had to go look it up after reading your comments. I was wondering if there was some cross socket compatibility craziness going on back in 08 that AMD and Intel processors could be used interchangably haha.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm not the only one who's a die hard v1 user. There's a handful of folks who post on and off here that are really happy with it.

There must have been something with DE that Microsoft saw as a weak link for them to pull it on Vail. Maybe it's that demigrator.exe uses a fair amount of of recourses moving all the files around. Streaming can sometimes interrupt with weaker processors because of it. But I use the MSS for backup and sharing purposes only so that's no issue for me.

Of course there is always the SMB1 issue, but I'm living successfully with that too...

On the AMD socket, I wrote the below nearly a year ago. Along with lots of other info. towards the beginning there's a pretty good outline on the ex47x cpu upgrade path and there is a ton more on some of the older 2009-2009 threads.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14864

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
Madhatta
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

That was an interesting read at the link you provided. Thank you.

I am looking to build a new server with a combination of some old parts and some upgrades but I don't know if I will have the heart to shut the ex490 down, when the time comes for a cut-over. It may just stay on as another storage pool since the drives won't be of use in the ZFS RAID I am planning, anyway. It would have some of its more processive intensive tasks offloaded to something more powerful (transcoding, etc) so that it can retire in peace. From file server to jack of all trades and back down to NAS only haha. I might even throw its E7500 back in to keep the heat down a bit. I think the celeron processor was lost long ago but even that would probably be fine if the 490's only job was serving out an SMB share.

I saw you mentioned a fan header at the front of the board but how do you power those two 30 mm fans?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The two fans are driven using the 3 pin header you mentioned that's at the front of the mobo.

I just super glued the two together and power them with a 3 pin "Y" cable. They add a small amount of noise but those particular fans are pretty quiet for what they are. Low tech but effective.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
Madhatta