It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanx mss folk.. An update… The small RDP window has been resolved, RDP has a tab to configure size when it starts... I CAN SEE!, Each time I srarted an RDP session I would see app failures, more than one too... I ran/scheduled checkdisk on V1 at restart, so far no app failures. Turned duplication off... starting backup/saves to desktop (have extra space there).. about 1.3TB of data, pc backups still need to be addressed, deleted old backups...

To replace my drive 0, a HGST 2gb drive?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Still looking for recc on what drive to use to replace my current drive 0 sys drive? I heard HGST, 2tb I think is max? is "advanced format" ok?

See this on amazon for $69?

HGST Ultrastar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gbps 64MB Cache Enterprise Hard Drive with 24x7 Duty Cycle (0F14685)

is this ok?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

and should I bite the bullet and replace all 4 now with this drive?

I see WD has a similar drive:
WD SE 2TB Datacenter Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2000F9YZ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well lionstreet stated that there is a issue with new wd reds.Which I have used for years with no issues.
And he suggested to use HGST.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15057

I will say any 7200 rpm drive will probably drive the temps high.
I tried a wd back for a os drive once and it got very hot all the time.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Ruben Rocha for this post
DataGeek
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I ordered 1 of the 2TB red pro's to just replace drive 0... will update after reload...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Okay it is 7200 rpm so running temp will be higher,
Hope you have SMART classic installed so you can monitor the temp.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:23 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DataGeek wrote:
I ordered 1 of the 2TB red pro's to just replace drive 0... will update after reload...

I'm still running the 7200 rpm Golds (WD2005FBYZ). I think I remember seeing in an earlier post you have three drives. Before adding a third HDD I had one in the bottom and staggered the other in the middle. Right now I have them setup 0, 1, 2. but you might try putting the upper two in the top two slots so drive 0 runs a bit cooler and see what happens.

I also cut half the back off of the rear cover just above the mounting tang so air could get out of the case better. Turns out those little holes in the covers are pretty air restrictive. A good pair of aftermarket high cfm fans help too.

Shown below is a testing case Ive been using while developing the Vail update too. Those are ARCTIC F8 PWM rev2 fans with 9 curved blade static design (to better move air past obstacles). My drive temps are mostly 32-36c and my CPU runs 37-40c after doing that.

The front cover holds dust like crazy too, so be sure to wipe it off it at least once a month.

Attachments:
modified back plate.JPG
modified back plate.JPG [ 573.74 KiB | Viewed 14549 times ]

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanx Lion on the cooling reccs, Those two Arctic's are installed inside the case?> same wiring and power draw? Yes, the front door is a HEPA dust collector!!! I do have 4 drives, I have all data backed up now and am reviewing instructions, I can't find on site or in my notes what I need to do about prepping the new drive? Do I need to add the system partition? my current sys drive has a 15gb partition, the rest in the second... I went ahead and partitioned the new HD the same way. Did I need to do that? I see the instructions say a 20GB system partition?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ok, found in my previous notes a MSSnet thread (from Techvet?) that said to format the new sys drive with a single partition... so I will re do that...?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here was TechVets's Recc: (and I assume a single Partition, NTFS format, of the entire 2TB drive?)

Hopefully this will help those folks who are having trouble. The key points are:

1) Pre-format target drive with a single partition using the defaults of NTFS. The restore process will reallocate the partitions, but seeing a pre-formatted drive seems to make a difference.
2) Copy Restore CD contents to HDD of PC doing the restore. This may not be necessary, but I suspect that there may be some truth to the earlier comment of a timing issue when restoring directly from the CD.
3) Operating system of PC doing the restore?? I used XP for this one only because I had an extra XP box lying around.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DataGeek wrote:
Thanx Lion on the cooling reccs, Those two Arctic's are installed inside the case?> same wiring and power draw?
Yes the Artics are direct replacement for the oe fans (which after 10 + years are probably nearly shot anyhow).

DataGeek wrote:
I can't find on site or in my notes what I need to do about prepping the new drive? Do I need to add the system partition? my current sys drive has a 15gb partition, the rest in the second... I went ahead and partitioned the new HD the same way. Did I need to do that? I see the instructions say a 20GB system partition?
Ive loaded v1 too many times to count when beta testing the off-line updater tool for it. I didn't have to pre-format at all, even on a freshly wiped disk. Just plug in and go. The install routine formats & set up the primary partition at 20gb and the storage partition takes up the rest no worries. I didn't read techvet's post. Was I missing something?

DataGeek wrote:
3) Operating system of PC doing the restore?? I used XP for this one only because I had an extra XP box lying around.
XP should be used on the client primarily if your working with a HP system disk that is prior to 3.0. You should be OK fine using a w7 client if your restoring with a HP 3.0 disk.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

DataGeek wrote:
Thanx Lion on the cooling reccs, Those two Arctic's are installed inside the case?> same wiring and power draw?
Yes the Artics are direct replacement for the oe fans (which after 10 + years are probably nearly shot anyhow).

Can I bolt on a Corsair PWM SP120 (I have now) on the back?

DataGeek wrote:
I can't find on site or in my notes what I need to do about prepping the new drive? Do I need to add the system partition? my current sys drive has a 15gb partition, the rest in the second... I went ahead and partitioned the new HD the same way. Did I need to do that? I see the instructions say a 20GB system partition?
Ive loaded v1 too many times to count when beta testing the off-line updater tool for it. I didn't have to pre-format at all, even on a freshly wiped disk. Just plug in and go. The install routine formats & set up the primary partition at 20gb and the storage partition takes up the rest no worries. I didn't read techvet's post. Was I missing something?

Lion, I assume your "Offline Updater" (OU) testing experience was using the flash drive, so that part of the process was streamlined, I read thru the process, it will take some time and skills for me to work thru that. I have experience with doing the PXE recovery, so I plan to use that here first to get me back up and operational. I think your OU process steps fit with that old method as well. I have a couple of questions:

1. Connecting VGA keyboard and Mouse - I don't see any vga ports on the EX495? Just usb kbrd and mouse ok? Do they require the kbrd addin to use? Where is monitor functionality seen? What is advantage over connector or RDP?
2. Phase2 recommends a factory reset with one drive? Does that make sense for my scenario (replacing drive0, data on drivers 1,2,3)? I was planning on just doing a recovery with 4 drives, (new drive 0 and existing drives 1,2,3). I would worry a factory reset will lose all of my existing data (yes have copies of that data now, but if I can keep the data on the MSS drives I would feel safer?). Step 7 mentions a "Terminal"? Isn't that the "client" pc running the recovery process?

I will likely have more q's as I parse phase 3/4...

TY Lion!!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Regarding the HP Updates from mediafire… the only file there is the GLB (global language?) version, no ENU (English language) version? Is this an issue? at 8gb I burned to a BD drive disc... It not a bootable disc, just a data file... ok?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

DataGeek wrote:
DataGeek wrote: Can I bolt on a Corsair PWM SP120 (I have now) on the back?
Well I guess you could if you had a way to secure it. Would it help? You'd have to tell us... But you'd prolly get much better results by dropping a few dollars on one or two 30mm fans and wedge them right in front of the heatsink. Pictured below are 2 EVERCOOL FAN-EC3007M12CA super glued together with a 3 pin Y cable plugged into the mobo front fan header. If I remember this solution cost me about $20 delivered.

It's not very elegant, but it's effective. And surprisingly, they're really fairly quiet.

DataGeek wrote:
Lion, I assume your "Offline Updater" (OU) testing experience was using the flash drive, so that part of the process was streamlined, I read thru the process, it will take some time and skills for me to work thru that. I have experience with doing the PXE recovery, so I plan to use that here first to get me back up and operational. I think your OU process steps fit with that old method as well. I have a couple of questions:
1. Connecting VGA keyboard and Mouse - I don't see any vga ports on the EX495? Just usb kbrd and mouse ok? Do they require the kbrd addin to use? Where is monitor functionality seen? What is advantage over connector or RDP?

The off line updater is really super, super simple to work with, even without VGA. The easiest way to work with it is just to download the .iso to a client and use PFM to open it up. Then just copy the files to a folder on a usb stick and plug it into the server. From there just RDP into the MSS, transfer that folder to the server desktop, and run the .exe application. That's really all there is to it. It's just extra work to burn it to a disk to then transfer the files off of it on to a USB stick. No worries about the global language version either.

Don't be intimidated by the long instructions, I just added extra detail to the steps because I could spit nails when someone writes half of detail you need to successfully complete something...

Connecting VGA keyboard and Mouse - Just plug in the a USB keyboard and mouse (if I remember correctly you don't even need to set the jumper if you don't care about bios access), no worries. You'd want to have to have the external monitor to make bios changes. And watching the install of the OS for potential issue notifications instead of being tied to the client's fairly meaningless install windows is kinda nice too. But for sure the VGA is a luxury and not mandatory.

DataGeek wrote:
2. Phase2 recommends a factory reset with one drive? Does that make sense for my scenario (replacing drive0, data on drivers 1,2,3)? I was planning on just doing a recovery with 4 drives, (new drive 0 and existing drives 1,2,3). I would worry a factory reset will lose all of my existing data (yes have copies of that data now, but if I can keep the data on the MSS drives I would feel safer?). Step 7 mentions a "Terminal"? Isn't that the "client" pc running the recovery process?

On all the installs I've ever done, I've always only worked with drive 0 until the system is fully updated, then thru the console I add the additional drives to the pool. But those were clean installs, with no concern for existing data. I've had a drive 0 fail on me, but all the drives were of similar age. So I pulled all the data off them and started over with all new drives figuring if one failed the others might also be nearing EOL. I think I got $20 or $30 a piece for them after listing them on fleabay..

As I understand your question, you have data on 3 drives and you are replacing your drive 0. So first, did you have folder duplication enabled?

Someone like Ruben Rocha or Yakuza would need to confirm, but I don't think you can do a clean OS install on a new drive and at the same time have that new drive automatically pool into 3 other drives that had been setup under a different pool. If I'm correct that means you need to load the OS, then using a docking station or something similar attached to a networked client, transfer the share data off of the other drives onto the server one by one. This could take a while...

And with that method, you might find it challenging to save your client's old backups (that is unless you've been using BDBB).

One of the better articles on transferring data is found here
http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System but there is also a lot of threads here on this forum too.

Yes, I was using terminal and client interchangeably.

Attachments:
P1120089.JPG
P1120089.JPG [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 14340 times ]

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
DataGeek
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

lioninstreet wrote:
DataGeek wrote:
DataGeek wrote: Can I bolt on a Corsair PWM SP120 (I have now) on the back?
Well I guess you could if you had a way to secure it. Would it help? You'd have to tell us... But you'd prolly get much better results by dropping a few dollars on one or two 30mm fans and wedge them right in front of the heatsink. Pictured below are 2 EVERCOOL FAN-EC3007M12CA super glued together with a 3 pin Y cable plugged into the mobo front fan header. If I remember this solution cost me about $20 delivered.

It's not very elegant, but it's effective. And surprisingly, they're really fairly quiet.

My cooling concern was over the new 7200rpm red pro, your twin 30’s are adding cpu cooling? Is both important? Where are you getting your temp measurements? GPUZ (loaded on server?)

DataGeek wrote:

The off line updater is really super, super simple to work with, even without VGA. The easiest way to work with it is just to download the .iso to a client and use PFM to open it up. Then just copy the files to a folder on a usb stick and plug it into the server. From there just RDP into the MSS, transfer that folder to the server desktop, and run the .exe application. That's really all there is to it. It's just extra work to burn it to a disk to then transfer the files off of it on to a USB stick. No worries about the global language version either.

Don't be intimidated by the long instructions, I just added extra detail to the steps because I could spit nails when someone writes half of detail you need to successfully complete something...

tytytytyt!!!! I love detail too...

1. I can view the downloaded ISO with Cyberlink ISO Viewer and see all of the content fine... But don't I just copy the raw downloaded iso file to the thumb drive?, then I need a viewer on the Server to see and select the exe (updateinstaller.exe)? Is there an ISO viewer on the server?
2. My lack of experience I am concerned about is for the flash OS load... not the update steps... and I am committed to learning the flash load process....

Connecting VGA keyboard and Mouse - Just plug in the a USB keyboard and mouse (if I remember correctly you don't even need to set the jumper if you don't care about bios access), no worries. You'd want to have to have the external monitor to make bios changes. And watching the install of the OS for potential issue notifications instead of being tied to the client's fairly meaningless install windows is kinda nice too. But for sure the VGA is a luxury and not mandatory.

The USB mouse/keyboard are still confusing me… (easy to do!) Where is the monitor functionality? How do I see what I am typing or screen navigating? Where is the mss desktop or server console visible if I were to be typing or mousing via the MSS usb connected mouse or keyboard? (its still connected to my client pc!), My ex495 has no VGA port, my monitor is connected by dvi or hdmi… I understand I will lose RDP access during reboots… it would be nice to see the MSS server directly… Help me understand…

DataGeek wrote:

On all the installs I've ever done, I've always only worked with drive 0 until the system is fully updated, then thru the console I add the additional drives to the pool. But those were clean installs, with no concern for existing data. I've had a drive 0 fail on me, but all the drives were of similar age. So I pulled all the data off them and started over with all new drives figuring if one failed the others might also be nearing EOL. I think I got $20 or $30 a piece for them after listing them on fleabay..

As I understand your question, you have data on 3 drives and you are replacing your drive 0. So first, did you have folder duplication enabled?

Someone like Ruben Rocha or Yakuza would need to confirm, but I don't think you can do a clean OS install on a new drive and at the same time have that new drive automatically pool into 3 other drives that had been setup under a different pool. If I'm correct that means you need to load the OS, then using a docking station or something similar attached to a networked client, transfer the share data off of the other drives onto the server one by one. This could take a while...

And with that method, you might find it challenging to save your client's old backups (that is unless you've been using BDBB).

One of the better articles on transferring data is found here
http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System but there is also a lot of threads here on this forum too.

Yes, I was using terminal and client interchangeably.

Regarding my drives, I have stopped all duplication. I don’t care about old PC backups, I could remove/delete them. I plan to just run new backups after cleaning up the drives on my two pc’s… I have already copied (yes lengthy) all of the data off of my mss to pc hard drives. could just copy? Back my photos, files, videos back to server when rebuild complete. Sounds like I should replace all 4 at this time. I wanted to get away from SMR and back to CMR with the red pro’s and add cooling fans to mitigate 7200rpm heat. So… bite the bullet and do as you recommend, factory reset with one drive ), offline updates, then add the remaining drives (maybe consolidate by leaving slot 1 empty, installing new storage drives in 2 and 3…, add the two arctics pmw8’s) , monitor cpu heat, make sense? Attached pix current server disk mgmt.

Attachments:
Current Server Comp Mgmt.JPG
Current Server Comp Mgmt.JPG [ 83.35 KiB | Viewed 14287 times ]

Thanks