It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: System Transplant?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm 

My EX470 lost its NIC. I thought about the VGA adapter (selling on ebay) but I already know the box is working even though I can't remote to it. She turns on for several hours a couple times a day - an energy saving add-in from a few years ago. So I wondered if I can move the machine's software into another machine.

Is it possible to transfer the four HDDs in my EX470 into a 4-bay rackmount server?

Has anyone tried this and if so, what issues arose from such a transplant?

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: System Transplant?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The problem is the WHS v1 that is installed on your 470 is licensed/registered to the Bios in that microserver (Hardware)
Even if it could be done (they say anything is possible, but I doubt it) windows server 2003 which is under WHS v1 would throw a fit about licensing/registration.

The closest you can get IMHO would be another 470 that has a working nic and even then you will most likely (I believe) have to do a server recovery "not reset" with the same CD's that were used on the first 470.
If you try this, remember that the bottom drive is the OS drive so you would want to mark it somehow and always has to be in a bottom bay, the other drives can be in any bay.

Other then that, you can pull the drives, one at a time, place them in a usb to sata dock or into an opened desktop and access the files directly to get a copy of them to move to your next solution.
Sorry and good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

All you need to do is say buy 1 or two extra drives depending on the new server requirements.
Place them in the new server.
Then one at a time connect the old drives to your desktop and copy the files over to the new server.
You will need to enable view hidden files and folders on the desktop to see the data to copy.
If you already have duplication turned on you can elect to turn it off and wait a few days or just ignore the prompts on the new server that the file already exists.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That is one of the best things about WHS, you can always pull a drive and get to the contents if needed anytime.
With most NAS you can not say that, if the hardware breaks down with a NAS, then you have to get replacement hardware to even have a chance at getting your data back.
If you do pickup another mediasmart I would suggest get something newer like the ex-490 or even a x-510. The ex-470 was nice, but the newer models are better, also IMHO don't get the 480/5/7 models, they had there own issues.
EX-490 with the cd's and you would be good to go for awhile. I have even installed win2012E on a x-510 and it worked fine, but ended up building something new for it.

But now days with WD coming out with these 6-8-10tb network drives it's tempting to go down that road as well.
Just depends on what your needs are.

Microsoft thinks we all just need to move everything to the cloud where they can keep an eye on it for us, [-X but most of us are smarter then that. :rofl:
Good Luck and let us know which way you went, lots of other people are in the same boat, where to go next.....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks