It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:12 am 

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice please.
I have an HP MediaSmart Server 470,
It's running fine, set up and doing what it is supposed to.

I now have a new PC that is running Windows 8....
and I can't install the server software from the instal disk (that came with the server) to connect it to the server.
Nor can I find any updated software link from either HP or Microsoft.

Has anyone figured this out?
Thanks,
Jonathan.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Not sure this is what you are looking for, my Windows8 machines work well with Windows Home Server 2011. But my machines were not upgraded to W8, when I used WHS v.1, so I don't know.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am 

Try downloading the client software from the server itself using the following example http://name_of_your_server:55000

I have read that others have used WHSv1 with their Win8 Clients so you should be able to do so as well.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:23 pm 

Maybe this is way late for you but I got my EX470 out of mothballs to replace a NAS device. I couldn't get the original HP disks to work with Windows 8.1. Thought about WHS2011 until I read posts on this site seem to not recommend it. I dug out an old, VERY old, Gateway laptop still using Windows XP, hooked it up with a cable and used the original HP Server Restore disk to get the EX470 running again. After numerous upgrades and restarts everything settled down. This Win8.1 box could see the server but trying to run the Server Connector software resulted in the "The software you are trying to run is too old. Please see the software vendor for an upgrade" error message. The next morning, after letting the EX470 "simmer", the health light was red, not blue. Checking with the Gateway and WinXP showed many more upgrades. After all that dust settled, in the Software\Home Server Connector Software sub-directory was a file "WHSConnector_x64.msi" that had not been there earlier. That runs on Win8.1 and now I can get access to the EX470 from this computer, do the automatic backups, etc. I guess I'll be keeping that little Gateway laptop around for a while, just in case. As a note, I tried using the http://name_of_your_server:55000 trick from this Win8.1 computer before the _x64 Connector showed up and the address or link did not work.

I do have a question: Currently my EX470 contains two 1Tb drives. Do the drives for the two empty drawers have to be the same capacity? I seem to remember reading something that said all drives have to be the same size, yet, on some of these forums I see drives of several sizes in the same EX4YY container.

Also, what is the maximum size drive that can be used? 2Tb per drive seems to be the limit. Anyone know the actual facts?

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help, but WinXP sure saved the day for me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:36 pm 

Hi TurnerF Welcome to the forums!

You can use any hard drive size up to 2TB in size with the EX470 running WHSv1. Because WHSv1 is an older operating system you will need to chose a drive which will work with a Legacy OS. Any drive you see that indicates it will work with say WinXP will do fine. Drives which have 512e listed in their specification will work as well. The issue lies with the newer Advanced Format or AF Drives which use 4K sector sizes vs 512b sector sizes. Quite a few people here are using Western Digital Red Drives and are reporting they run well with their servers.

Personally I continue to use a Win XP client for Server Recoveries for WHSv1 its just a smoother process although I have been able to use Win7 as well but have never attempted to use a Win 8 Client because they are tied to my WS2012E server although I do have 1 Win8 client I recently built I could play with if I desired to do so.

There is a lot of information about the EX470 and what you can do with the EX470 on the site along with how to keep your server running well. One thing you will need to test out is a client recovery to make sure you have to correct NIC driver that will work with your Win8 client or any other client your backing up with the server. All you need to do is run the recovery until the server is actually seen by the client then you can abort the client recovery. The driver would have to be 32 bit to work with the recovery software because it was written for a 32bit OS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:38 pm 

I forgot to mention that you can used drives of different sizes so they do not all have to be the same size but the largest drive you can add to the storage pool is 2TB.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 2 cents, any of these servers needs the [Free] Smart addin to keep an eye on the drives. A must have!
These servers need 3 things to keep them happy.
1) Smart addin to watch the drives. Having a spare drive and a usb to sata dock or cable is helpful.
2) Keep cool and clean, give it a good vacuum and keep the dust bunnies away, can blasters are ok to.
3) Backups, Cloud, non-pooled, dvd, external usb, something.

I use all 2tb red drives in my main server, I have 2 4TB red drives that are used non-pooled to backup my shares. They are formatted GPT with a win7 pc and can only be used in the server as non-pooled backups.
They showup on the backup page of the console.

Good luck and enjoy, if you need more info you have found the best place on the net for these little dudes :-)
:mss:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks